Friday, January 11, 2008

HaPPY JaNuaRY 11TH!

I've told myself that if I was still single when I turned 27 I would get a dog. :) Growing up I was always attracted to the larger breed of dogs; labs and boxers. You know, someone I could go running with down by the river. Now, I wouldn't mind a small dog - a little charmer to keep me company. Where I live, dogs are prohibited. Just as well.

Today offered a moment of reflection. A time to think about my life up until this point and where it will go from here. What could the future hold for me? My heart starts to pound and I get a little ancy sitting in this chair here thinking about it. I want to get on my way! Which is where?

?

That phrase, 'What could the future hold for me.' That seems like a rather passive phrase. I don't know what's ahead but I'd just as soon get on the train and go find it, rather than waiting for it to come down the tracks to the station...ticket please.

I have loved my time here in Kansas. Adrenaline rushes through me just by thinking and conversing about design, art mediums, plants, techniques, negative space, and ideas. This is my life. It is what I do. But it does not wholly define who I am. It is not what I want to do forever, solely anyway. Well...too early to say. I am not ruling out any ideas or possibilities - but I tell them my number one goal and priority in life would be that of a fantastic wife and very cool mom.

Most of my friends have moved into that phase. And it is a joy to see them and their families grow. I am happy for them, and I am happy for me as well. I am happy for where I am at - for what I have done, and for where I am going. A drafting table will always belong in my life, as will my markers, pencils, and soon to be paints. Art and nature has always breathed inside me and I certainly won't push it aside, but raising a family comes primary to raising plants. The great thing is, is that both can be done at the same time! Smile.

1 comment: