Thursday, January 10, 2008

Where is OZ?


Manhattan gains a lot of it's charm from the fact that it is a college town. The campus is beautiful! Limestone. The houses near the campus are small and have character. Some more than others. Drystack walls are a regular - true drystack even. The featured image is, of course, not a true drystack as one can see. But a nice stone wall nonetheless. Very charming town. But not enough to tempt me to exceed my stay of two weeks.

The participants are feeling the wear of the workshop. It seems they either become tired and quiet...even groggy, or their fatigue is displayed by goofiness. I myself - we'll...let's just say that when I arrived at the studio this morning I still had indentations on my face from the bed sheets. Ha ha! Yes - I was late.

I have started looking into becoming ISA (International Society of Arboriculture) certified and ICPI (Interlocking Concrete Pavement Institute) certified. The first will be a bit more challenging than the second. Both will help me create a more educated and responsible design, therefore becoming more valuable to the client. Also, I love being able to communicate with contractors in an educated way and while I learn a lot on the job site, I feel that keeping a steady flow on homework while I am able, will be quite beneficial. It all seems very interesting! (Although I must acknowledge that book learning cannot replace knowledge gained from hands-on experience, which is where volunteering at some gardens seems attractive)

What about a Masters Degree? Well, I don't know. That thought hasn't quite made it to the back burner.

No comments:

Post a Comment