Tuesday, January 15, 2008

3 Nephi 27:32

“But behold, it sorroweth me because of the fourth generation from this generation, for they are led away captive by him even as was the son of perdition; for they will sell me for silver and for gold, and for that which moth doth corrupt and which thieves can break through and steal. And in that day will I visit them, even in turning their own works upon their own heads.”

It has been done before, and Christ himself says that it would happen again, not so specifically as Judas Iscariot, but nonetheless; to sell Christ for gold and for silver. The thought saddens my heart. And yet, how many times have I sold Christ for gold and for silver, and for that which moth doth corrupt and which thieves can break through and steal? How many times have I, by my actions and words, disregarded Christ as my Savior and Exemplar? “For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” So I ask myself, where is my treasure? What is my treasure? And if I claim that my treasure is indeed Christ and His gospel then do my everyday actions and conversations reflect that? If not – then again, where is my treasure?
How foolish I am at times. Gold and silver, worldly possessions and pride have no eternal value. What we take with us from this life are our actions, deeds, thoughts, and our characters. Clearly the Lord doesn't want us destitute, living in a state of poverty. I believe we are to improve and beautify our surroundings, living in order and cleanliness, but always remembering that God has commanded that we are to have no other Gods before Him, and to “seek first the kingdom the God and his righteousness.” No man can serve two masters.

No comments:

Post a Comment