Saturday, January 26, 2008

Jacob 6:12

Do you ever get tired of living with yourself?

I do. Sometimes.

I see who I want to be and how I want to be. And then I ask myself...
Why do I aimlessly stay up late, doing nothing? Why don't I go to bed at a decent hour? Why do I blog at 12:38pm? Why don't I drink more water? Why don't I wake up earlier? Why don't I exercise more? Why don't I write more letters? Why don't I just get the Hakes plan done and out the door? Why am I not more productive? Why do I eat 'no sugar added icecream' and pizza crust when I know it will make me sick? Why do I...? Oh the list goes on and on sometimes.

Then I think to times when I was quite disciplined. From grade school to high school I spent countless hours on homework after school. I have a sister that would just go crazy over it (yet - I never pulled off a 4.0). I served a mission for my church, where there are very strict rules and for 18 months I was in bed by 10:30 every night without fail and every morning I was up by 6:30. Well, make that 6:29...I prefer odd numbers over even. There was one time when I looked at my clock and it said 6:31. I was out of bed so fast you would have thought my feet were on fire! And even though I was so incredibly tired I still got out of bed. Why don't I do that now?!

I was reading in The Book of Mormon this morning and noticed a line I had written at the bottom of page 486. It said "wisdom is how you act according to your knowledge." Hmm, a good insight. I sure don't do that sometimes, and sometimes it seems like a lot of the time. I think that many times I am rather foolish. But that is at least a start - a greater realization of personal accountability and responsibility, eh?

So right now I am sitting myself down. Hall - tomorrow is a new day. You know what type of person you want to be....now be it! Nike. Okay. Case closed.

1 comment:

  1. I know the feeling. That said, I know you. Give yourself a break.
    Also, focus on one or two things at a time.

    I have a tendency to let my goals and resolutions snowball- I think: I need to improve this, and this to go along with it. And come to think of it, I am not doing this, and this, and this! I am a loser!

    This is not productive.

    If you need help prioritizing (spell?) call me. I am a pro- when it comes to other people! hee, hee.

    I think the key is balance. We shall discuss later!

    ReplyDelete