Tuesday, January 08, 2008

title

In grade school, I was always the girl allowed to play ball with the boys - even when they were on strike against the opposite gender. Somehow my friend Lyn and I always made the cut (except for in 3rd grade when track E came back, remember that Lyn, remember that!? Dur). In high school I had a great set of guy friends, whom I greatly admire. Most are married now, spread out across the nation, with very successful careers and families. I had few close girl friends, and a handful that I hung out with on occasion, but the majority of my friends were guys.

I see this pattern has carried into my professional life as well. Most of the individuals that I associate with (99%) are men, or maybe I should say 'male' - because they do not always act like men.

The more time I spend out in the field, the more I start to wonder about these men I am surrounded by. Do they act like this at home? Would they say that in front of their wife? Would their kids be embarrassed that their dad just laughed at that joke...or made that joke?

I find that the more I am on a job consistently, the more the guys become comfortable with me around and forget that there is a lady on site. Some things just aren't appropriate or funny, whether the ladies are around or not.

Maybe that's why ML, and a handful of others say that I am too picky when it comes to guys/men/the male gender. They say I expect too much, after all, nobody is perfect; boys will be boys. Well, if expecting too much means that I don't want a guy that has to stoop to a level of mind-lessness to tell a joke or who's vocabulary is supplied by a different dictionary once he gets to work (whatever the chosen profession is), then sure, call me picky...or a even a purple crayon (previous post).

I would just hope all, male and female, would aim to be consistent with their character in whatever location they may be in, myself included.

1 comment: