Monday, October 25, 2010

Saturday, Sunday, Monday

"So are you famous?"

"Has any mathematician ever been famous?"

"Einstien?"

"He was famous for his physics."

"Oh.  Well, are you famous in the math community?"

The conversation I thought I didn`t want to have ended up a delight.  I do love meeting people and making aquaintences and that will usually override my sometimes reclusive nature. 

He was on his way to Kyoto to give math lectures for three days, then fly back to California where he teaches at Irvine University.  He`s one of a couple thousand worldwide that understands math the way he does and as I watched him type his notes I couldn`t begin to comprehend what could possible go on in that brain of his.  Math is such a foreign language to me.

We talked a lot during the 11 hour flight from Seattle to Osaka.  Topics of all sorts were covered: math (very little though since he couldn`t really exlpain a thing to me), landscape design, religion and beliefs, family, books, movies, realtionships, sailing, Jerusalem, broken hearts, France, divorce, his kids, authenticity, hopes, conundrums, standards, makeup...just whatever really.  And he shared his almonds with me.

He sails as a hobby and makes it a serious hobby.  Serious enough that he has sailed all around Europe - even when his kids were young they lived on a sailboat in the south of France.  Awesome.  He recently sailed to Newfoundland and has accomplished a feat only the most elite have conquered.  His pictures were amazing.

Since we were both heading to Kyoto we caught the train together and made our way to the Kyoto terminal where we said our goodbys and goodlucks.  He said whenever I needed my annual coast, he would show me some beautiful beaches.  (Maybe even on a sail boat!)

As I made my way out of the station and into the streets I felt familiar.  I felt as if I had never left Japan.  That all that has happened since last June...never really existed and that I was simply continuing my life in Kyoto.  I caught a taxi to the hotel.  It`s in the north east region of Kyoto, and not too close to the station.  I checked in at the front desk and made my way to elevators...7th floor.  A light knock and when I pushed the door open I was greeted by the smell of tatami mats, Ruth of The Netherlands, and Jeaninne of Mexico.  Both younger than I.  We started talking as if we had known each other for years.  I love international exchanges.

The group is impressive.  We are 18 and I am among the younger part of the group. Utah, California, New York, Minnesota, Germany, Mexico, Netherlands, Spain, Serbia, England...maybe I have left out a country or two, but we are a great mix and are getting along fashionably well.  I love the diversity, and that we have one passion in common that unites us and makes us instant friends.  Gardens.  Many are not practicing landscape architects or designers, but somehow we all relate to the field in one way or another.  One man is in marketing and product development for cosmetics.  The new Estee Lauder frangrance, Sensuous?  Yeah, that is his.  I asked him what fragrance I would be and he said he would have to get to know my personality better.  But I`ll let you all know so it makes it easier for you when my birthday comes around.  Another lady simply loves to garden, as she says it is everyones second passion (if not first) in her country.  And you know you are talking with a true English women when she says: "Oh you must come..."      

We are three to a room, a little tight...and sleep on futon on tatami.  I forgot about the hard pillows.  But I slept very well last night and woke with little problems.  I really do love sleeping traditional Japanese style.  The hotel is located next to nothing by way of restaurants, shopping, nightlife and movement.  And the internet that I thought I would have, doesn`t really exist.  This post is coming to you from the Univeristy, so those videos that I thought I would make and post will have to be created once I get to Kameoka in two weeks.

This course will be a perfect compliment to what I experienced this spring.  We will have lectures for three hours daily along with first hand garden experiences.  What I learned and absorbed through the hearing of thoughts and theories during today`s lectures has already started to boil my blood and excite my soul.  It`s going to be an important few weeks and I mean to maximize my time here.

*******

I think maybe a Japanese bath is in order to finish the day.  We have public soaking tubs here and I hear the water is hot and wonderful.

*****

Oh, and yes. He is famous.

5 comments:

  1. You have the most interesting things happen to you, Lorien. Have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great conversation. It's always great to hear you post from Japan, because it sounds as if your voice is unhindered. Your group sounds enjoyable! We will eagerly await updates. Enjoy the gardens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you did have an interesting flight companion afterall. Japanese gardens are so mythical and spiritual - can't wait for the pix and descripions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, happenstance meets with intelligent, dynamic, interesting, conversations are great. Then you part, and very rarely ever meet again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't tell me you added to his wiki link!! Too funny. You have a gift for making interesting friends.

    ReplyDelete