Friday, October 08, 2010

Living Life and Overcoming Fears

Today will be my first time riding a motorcycle.

While getting ready this morning I spoke positive affirmations out loud to myself in the mirror..."I can ride a motorcycle, I can ride a motorcycle.  I can turn on a motorcycle, I can turn on a motorcycle.  I am not afraid of motorcycles, I am not afraid of motorcycles."

Because I kind of am.

While reclining in my lazy boy chair in class I stare at the looming black motorcycle in the front of the room..."I dare you," it says to me - and it's been saying that to me for the past two evenings.  When I look at the bike looking back at me my heart rate quickens.

Mike sits to my left again and gives me pep talks.  He used to be the breakman on a train.

Over the past month I have decided to start doing things that scare me or make me a bit apprehensive.  I want to overcome fear.  Mind over matter.  I am approaching 30 and while I am not looking to become reckless, mindless or irresponsible, I do want to lighten up a bit, have lots of fun and do things I have never done before.  I want to experience life a little differently.  I always have loved adventure.

Several weeks ago I went down the alpine slide for the first time.  "The alpine slide scares you?"  I know, really - it's just a simple slide down the mountain side!  I had never ever been, but have always been curious about it, and in a slightly nervous way.  So I grabbed a favorite friend and headed up the canyon on a beautiful fall day to accomplish #1 on my list of things to do to overcome fear.

So I guess #2 is motorcycles.  I have learned a lot about motorcycling over the past two days, about the different types of bikes, bike parts, controls, protective gear, risk factors, safety tips, and learning more about what type of bike I like.  Many things that I had thought I wanted in a bike are now changing because I am becoming more educated...which will help me make better decisions down the road.

I think as long as I breath on the course tonight, I'll be "just fine," as Mike keeps saying.  "And don't think about it too much."

I have thought about adding skydiving to my list.  My friend who went down the alpine slide with me recently went.  She loved it, but said she felt nausea afterward pretty badly, even though she never gets motion sickness.  So....I might have to toss that idea - I have horrible motion sickness and can only imagine what might happen if I jumped out of a plane.  I don't know....I'll think about it.  I could always take lots of dramamine.

3 comments:

  1. You've been base jumping?!!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. notice my edits kara. no I haven't - lol. don't ask me what my mind was thinking - i was thinking of something else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes me wonder what you will do at age 39, 49 and onward.

    ReplyDelete