Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Riots

The morning shift ended at the beginning of siesta.  It was time to head back to the volunteer house for lunch.  Probably greasy oil-boiled rice was part of the menu.  And maybe some soggy cake for dessert.

There had been riots going on down by the university several months back.  Gives the college students something to do during their free hour, I guess.  Something about the government, and electricity and power and prices....

The protesters would throw large pieces of wood into the roads to disrupt traffic, especially the buses.  They had something out for the public transit system.  Rocks were being thrown too, at buildings as well as at buses.  Our route was right through the middle of all of this, so during this time we were directed from the Top to take another route.  It was bothersome, and added time to our 30 minute walk to and from the orphanage.  It had been a while since the university students were restless, so we were on our normal course headed home.

There's always more people out in the streets and on the sidewalks at the start of siesta...but it seemed a bit more stalled than usual.  The number of people were thickening and the pace was that of apprehension.  Curious, me and the other group members (2 or 3 others) continued through the mass to see what was going on, weaving our way - trying to get the best view of what, we didn't know.  We slowed.  We saw nothing.

As quickly as we saw nothing the people a ways down the sidewalk turned towards us and started to run.  Fast.  It hit like the domino effect and everyone was turning and running.  Fast.  We turned and ran with the crowd.  Wondering what was going on I looked back to see what was chasing us.  A tank.

I ran faster.

With adrenaline as charged as I have ever had it, we were fleeing in confusion with the masses.  The tension in the air was valid.  It was wild.  We came up on a cross street and darted quickly to the left with a handful of others.  Hopefully the tank wouldn't be turning left as well.  We ran into the entry way of a small shop.  It was locked.  Siesta.  Great.

We waited a while until things seemed to dissipate.  Then, as the site leader, I told everyone we would be taking the long way home today to avoid any more run-ins with tanks.  I guess the riots were back.

This is an excerpt from 9 years ago that I emailed family and friends.  I'll let the 20 year old me tell the rest of the story.
today i had a grand adventure! so the riots have started again. prices are going up and so are students tempers. it's great. anyway - yesterday we walked through a group of student throwing rocks at policemen - etc and just barely made it through in time. no tanks yet - but tear gas everywhere. so i was kicking myself for not having my camera, because there would have been some really cool pictures. so today i devised a plan!! hee hee. we got out of work right on time and instead of being the responsible site leader and direct our path down a calm, mellow, boring street - i decided to be an adventurous photographer! now take note - I WOULD NEVER DO ANYTHING THAT WOULD PUT SOMEONE ELSE IN DANGER OF DANGER - I AM VERY CAREFUL AND SERIOUS ABOUT SAFETY!!! so - we walk through the crowd and got to the safe side of the street. all is well - and we are out of harms way - but stick around to get some pictures. so the rocks are being thrown at the policemen who have those cool clear shields to protect themselves. and soon everyone starts running and the tear gas starts shooting and spreading - while i am loving it and taking pictures. i hope i got some good ones. i REALLY hope i got some good ones - because now we are taking the safe way to work and etc. but the tear gas got us and man! does it burn. but it was great. so that's all. but all is safe and well here in cuenca - it really is.  
From the last session of riots in the area, I had heard there was one casualty.  An innocent bystander.  The bank windows were broken and I think some bus windows too.  I wrote this a few days before my 21st birthday...and just in a matter of weeks the city would return to it's quaint charm.  A peaceful and lovely South American city rich in it's culture.  And in just a matter of months they would all be celebrating and having a big city-wide water fight.  Carnival.  But at that time, for those few weeks, they were angry and there was violence.  It's interesting.

The only other time I felt or saw danger in Ecuador was when I was approached by a small group of sleazy Ecuadorian men on my way back to the house.  Rule number 1 was "Never Be Alone", and the only time that I was, I got reminded of why I wasn't supposed to be.  I glared at them.  And when they got close I told them "don't touch me," in my broken and pathetic Spanish.  I was scared and shaking inside, but I had to appear tough.  When they reached I yanked my elbow and stood my ground then walked away.  (I should have ran!)    

All they got was my water bottle.  Fools.  (Who's the fool?)      
   


My attempt at being a National Geographic On Assignment Photographer.
 



4 comments:

  1. Hoo boy, I can just imagine what your family was thinking when they read that email from L.F. who has now suddenly become the adventurous photographer! But you did all right. My son was mugged and lost all on his first day in Peru about a year and a half ago. It was the first day of a nine-month trek through S.America and I was proud (and terrified) that he persevered. Good going, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading about that. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was apparently out of the loop on this one! Promise me you are a more cautious person :-)

    ReplyDelete