Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Public Bath

One of my favorite parts of the day happens right after I wake or right before I sleep. 

The public bath.


Each day, I am left a clean, fresh robe with two clean yellow towels.  One big and one small.  Up in my room, I gather my showering and bathing essentials, undress and put on the navy and white robe, which comes with a thick dark tie.  Slide on the green slippers, make my way to the elevator, and go from the top floor to the bottom floor where the lobby and some shops are.  Past the shop, down the hall, down another hall - through some sliding doors.  A sign reminds you, "No Smorking."   The men and women are separated.  You enter a room that we would probably term as a locker room.  There are spaces for slippers and woven baskets for your belongings.  You disrobe, take what shower gels and shampoos you need with you and open another sliding door and into the big room with the bath.  Really, all shampoos and conditioners and washes are provided at the sinks - so really you don`t need to take anything with you.  But this American girl, with her Bumble and Bumble, does.  I have never liked hotel hair and body products.  So far I am the only one that has brought in my own....everything. 

Along the walls are low rows of sinks with a dismountable shower hose at each one for wetting and rinsing purposes.  You sit low on a little stool, with a sink and mirror in front of you.  A little basin that you use to gather water from the faucet is facing downwards in front of you.  Flip the basin around, set the temperature and turn on the water.

Rule number one: Do not splash your neighbor.

After you have soaped up, shampooed, conditioned and rinsed - you turn your basin upside down and make your way to the soaking tub.  The water is hot and welcoming to the muscles.  It`s a rather large tub - with a panoramic view out to a bamboo and stone garden.  Sometimes it is quiet with only a few people.  Sometimes it is busy and chitchatty when all the older ladies come in with their friends - lots of fun laughter when that happens.

When you are done soaking you leave the bath, leave the room - find your basket with your towel and other belongings - dry off and dress.  The have a vanity outside in the locker room with more sinks and mirrors complete with q-tips, cotton balls, lotion and blowdryers so that you can be ready for the day when you leave.

*****

It`s quite normal to see people wandering the hotel in robes.  Coming from or going to the bath I am not sure.  Sometimes they wear them to breakfast.  

I think I have said this before, but a large Japanese soaking tub with a soap up, rinse off shower, adjacent a small garden. is already in my house plans.

1 comment:

  1. We Americans and our Puritan values. I don't know how comfortable I would be with all the nakedness. The concept is so Asian. Wonderful description, by the way.

    ReplyDelete