Wednesday, October 06, 2010

First Day of Class

"Everybody find someone sitting next to you, whom you can introduce to the class in a few minutes.  Ask them their name, why they're here, and what they hope to accomplish with this course."

It is a big upstairs classroom, very open - all made from reclaimed wood...the floors, the walls...it feels worn but comfortable... lived in and time-tested.  There is eleven of us, all comfortably sitting in our individual black lazy boy recliners.  I was sitting on the front row to the middle-right of the room.  The girl and guy sitting to my right pair up.  The lazy boy to my left is vacant.

"Mind if I just scoot on over?"

"Nope."

"Hi, my name is Mike."

"Hi Mike, I'm Lorien, like DeLorean...without the De."

"Well, I'll remember that!  My wife's name in Lori, but not Lorien"

He has a pleasantness about him, and you can tell he easily makes friends wherever he goes.  He's the type that's not afraid to talk.

"So what brings you here Mike, what's your past?"

He has a slightly weathered face and happy blue eyes that are framed in silver lined glasses.  His hair verges on white and is a length to be jealous of.  It is pulled back into a braid.  With a neatly trimmed mustache to match the color of his hair, he's wearing a black bandana with white flames which covers part of his forehead.  "Marlboro" is on the pocket of his black t-shirt.

"Well, I rode dirt bikes 30 years ago and I haven't ridden since.  It was either a coupe, or get a bike, so I bought a bike.  A big bike.  What about you?  You ride?"

"No.  I have only been on a bike once for an hour or so - but never really rode.  And I've only been a passenger twice."

"Well..."  he said, with a kind of up and down of his head..."why do you want to learn to ride?"

"It's different being on a bike than in a car.  You feel connected to the world around you...the sights, the smells....the sounds...they are all so tangible.  It's a type of awakening.  I want to experience that - I want to experience the city and the canyons differently."

"Well, there's nothing like it.  You'll love it, you're gonna love it."  He smiles big.

***

Near the end of the class we talk about fears - and different fears we might have about motorcycling.  I tell Mike I am worried about turning and leaning.  "I'm scared of figure 8's." 

"Oh you'll be fine, you'll be just fine."  He starts making movements with his head, which his body follows slightly.  He's riding.  "It's just like...this."  He motions again as if he's riding.  I start to mimic Mike.  Tilt head slightly, lean to the right....Tilt head slightly, lean to the left...I go back and forth, back and forth..."It's kind of like a dance move, huh?"  I start exaggerating the movements.  "Ha! That's it!  Now you've got it!"

Down in the parking lot we say our goodbyes and that we'll see each other again tomorrow.  He'll be waking up at 2:30 am to drive to Wellsville - then on up to Evanston, but he'll be back in time for class.

Until tomorrow!

Me excited on my first day of motorcycle class.


2 comments:

  1. You gotta love a class that sports black lazy boy recliners. My husband rides a Honda bike but as I have patiently told him many times, sorry dear, I only ride Harleys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can;t wait to see your
    "leathers."

    ReplyDelete