Thursday, October 28, 2010

The people I am learning to love

I really love the compilation of people that have gathered from abroad to participate in this seminar.  Such diversity, it is completely refreshing.  I have always been drawn to diversity - it makes me feel more at home in a way.  I love hearing everyones accents, and sometimes I wonder how the others view mine.

Ruth, from the Netherlands is just what you`d picture.  She has short dirty-blond hair that she just lets be - rosey cheeks coupled with fair skin and wonderful soft brown eyes.  Her bone structure is that of a Hollander (?).  She`s probably the youngest in the group at 22 or 23 and is now getting her Masters in Landscape Architecture.  She has one younger brother and is an optimist, sensible, and laughs readily in a child-like manner.  She really does have a great mind and I enjoy hearing her thoughts and views.  She has many valid and wonderful opinions - and sometimes I wish I could borrow her brain.  She will be staying in Japan the longest - I think a whole two months?!  She has an internship up north, and will do quite a bit of traveling.  So jealous!  I love sharing a space with her.

Jeannine is quick, energetic, fashionable, and very smart.  She`s petite with beautil olive skin and exotic eyes with lengthy eyelashes.  She lives in Mexico city with her husband, but is looking to move out of the country because it is not safe.  When she got married two years ago, she and her husband wanted a hobby that they could do when they were together.  Bonsai was the result.  They have about 26 trees and she`s fantastic.  She`s sensitive, playful and loves Hello Kitty and wears a sheep mask to bed.  She comes to Japan for training and was the first female to train under a certain master in Tokyo this year.  She was always in the top of her class and was also in the ROTC in Mexico because she loves to shoot rifles.  I consider her husband, who is 12 years older, a very lucky man and I hope he knows it.  I think he does.  I hope to have a hobby with my husband someday.  Maybe bonsai.

Holger is great.  I love talking to the man.  He`s from Frankfurt, Germany and reminds me a tad of a younger version of Brother Gubler, but with a German accent (fitting since he went to GER on his mission).  He`s got the thin glasses, short almost non-existent hair and the head/face shape to be his brother.  He works in the HR department for some company and has no connection to Japanese gardens, other than that his wife is Japanese.  He`s been great to have around because he can get by on the streets and in the restaurants.  He`s quick to smile, laugh and be confused by how I phrase things.  We always are laughing at something or another about our usage of words.  No kids yet.  He askes very intelligent questions and is starting to get excited about plant names.  I think he`s a goner and will become a gardener when he gets home.  He`s so pleasant and adds some smoothness to the group.

Russell is a crazy aesthetics pruner.  Crazy in the best way possible.  He`s quite the conversationalist and entertaining at that.  He`s got passion and excitement.  Living in California he has several Clients whose shrubs and trees he cares for.  If you`re going out for dinner or to a pub, take Russell and you are guaranteed a good time.  He`s the one with all of the one-liners that will be quoted for several days following and his commentary on politics makes you think he should be a comedian.

Christianne goes by Nutty.  She`s from southern England and is so wonderful to converse with.  How could a group of garden lovers exist without an English accent somewhere in the group?!?  We have had wonderful conversations and she is all ready to give me some contact names for people I should know in the UK if I am serious about gardening.  She just simply loves gardening, even though her two kids who are about 19 and 24 sometimes thinks she`s crazy.  Her husband lets her be so.  GOod for him!  Obsession is the word she uses to describe the people she calls her countrymen.  She has lovely English blond hair and wears a lovely grey trench coat with some green ankle high wellies.  She`s wonferul.

Konstantijn is the the sweetest.  His parents must simply love him and their hearts must fill up with pride when they think of him.  His Belgiun accent is just delightful and I get all happy inside when I talk with him.  He kind of reminds me, in a small way, of the main character from Lars and the Real Girl.  His parents own a flower shop back home.  When he was 12 he wanted to go to horticulture school, but his parents said no.  So, when he turned 18 he went anyways and now has his own landscape design business.  His parents now approve.  His hobbies include Koi and Bonsai - as well as volunteering around the town educating people about tree care.  He is the oldest and has some younger brothers and a 10 year old sister.  I am sure they all adore their older brother who smiles with his light blue Belgian eyes, and when his mouth curves up they sparkle.  And he has a great green sweater and black beanie.  He`s quite, but loves to come with the small group of us that go out together in the evenings or for lunch.  He`s content to just be and observe, but will talk plenty when talked to.         

We all get along so well, it`s ridiculous.  I think people who love gardens, naturally tend to have big hearts.  I think that`s why we all have such a grand time together.  We are big heart people.

More people introductions to come at a later date.

So much I have learned already.  And by doing so I realize all the more I have to go - all that I do not understand.  So much.  I hope within the coming weeks I will be able to write snippets of my thoughts and feelings or ideas that I have had while being here.  I might burst.  I wonder what my life will be.  I wonder how long I will live in Salt Lake.  I feel that it won`t be a long term or permanent part of my life.  I would love to live abroad - or move to a larger, more diverse city in the NorthWest or New England.  And if I am supposed to stay in Utah - then it will have to be coupled with ample abroad experience and travel.  But I think it would be well for me to consider a change within the coming years...just need to wrap up Middle Earth so that I am free for the world to find me.  What an adventure.

I`ll also need a lot of money.

Oh yeah - that part, too.      

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the fabulous post Lorien! Your descriptions of things are priceless!! I feel like I know your group intimately. Keep commenting.

    ReplyDelete