Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I'd like some sprinkles too...


"You can't have your cake and eat it too."  A saying we all know, and probably at some point in our lives have used or maybe even been told.

I think that sometimes we do not think too much about what we are actually saying.  Especially when it comes to sayings.

Yes, I'd like some cake.  And yes, I would like to eat it as well.

"Have your cake and eat it too" just doesn't really fit with it's intended meaning...it's really ridiculous, actually.  Who has cake, but doesn't eat it?  And if they do - what's wrong with that?  Shouldn't it be enjoyed?  Isn't a part of life about eating cake?!

And I'd like mine with sprinkles.

In all my vigorous curiosity I googled the phrase.  It's earliest use dates back to 1546 as "wolde you bothe eate your cake, and have your cake?"   Which does make much more sense.  You can't eat your cake and then have your cake...because once you have eaten your cake, it's gone.  (Unless of course you are given or take a second piece.  Sneaky.)

I understand the sayings' intended point.  Very well, actually.  Sometimes you just can't have this AND that - because they are opposing haves or wants...the impossibility of having it both ways, if both of those ways are conflicting.  Like not being able to move forward and backwards at the same time...unless you are traveling at the speed of light.  Or maybe it's...you can't have both, you have to choose.  If you have 43 bucks and you spend it all on a desirable shirt, you will not be able to get that pair of shoes you really want because you are out of money.  You simply cannot get both (don't listen to your credit card).  Period.  So you have to choose.  One or the other.  Not both.  (Hope for a sale).  Or maybe it's, 1+4 does not = 7.  You will never be able to add 1 with 4 and get 7.  I get it.

It's just that if someone gives me cake, I am going to eat it.

*****

The day is drawing to a close. I am going to draw a bath.  And soak in it too.  With bubbles.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that now you have no cake! Sigh Sigh. Of course, however, if you made a whole cake and only ate one or two pieces, perhaps you do indeed still have your cake--albeit it is assumed that THAT having is still a temporary state.

    BUT even when you have HAD all the cake, there is the possibility that the cake is still with you in a "transformed" state, and may be with you for a long (or short) time. You know what they say, "A moment on the lips, forever on the hips." ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, I'll just have another piece of cake. You can have the sprinkles . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would eat the cake too. Sad for those who can't decide!

    ReplyDelete