Wednesday, December 10, 2008

one on one

You look like you just got out of bed.

LAH: Yeah...this morning I was ironing my bed skirt when I got a call on one of my projects. I hadn't gotten ready for the day yet but I had to be in a meeting pronto, so I picked up and left. Didn't even wash my face!...anything for one of my projects.

What was the meeting for?

LAH: I met with an outdoor lighting company to discuss the details of how we are going to light a gazebo for the Christmas season. It will be the "tree topper" of the property.

And just out of curiosity...what did you listen to while on your way over here?

LAH: David Archuleta's new CD - it's how I keep connected with my 15 year old sister. [smiles].

Do you sing in the car with your music?

LAH: Most of the time. I wish more people did - it makes intersection watching more fun when you pull up and the person next to you is singing and dancing in the car. Sometimes I think life should be a musical.

So you have been working in your industry, which is the Green Industry, focusing on landscape design, for about 3 and a half years - with one and a half years on your own. Breaking off on your own after less than two years with a company may seem a little quick. Tell us about that.

LAH: Well, first off - there are a lot of people my age and younger starting businesses. You just decide to do it and you do it. I was tired of the office, not of my boss or co-workers - we got along great and still do...I was just tired of the desk. One morning I came into work so worn out...I had been crying while driving to work and just cried and cried at my desk for the first part of the hour. I worked with men, so they were like...uuuuhhhh...what do we do with her? One just let me be and the other wanted to "talk." I was pretty teary that whole day! But they were real nice about it. It was quite funny and I never did tell them why I was crying. I was also struggling with some health issues, which was making work harder. And I had my own ideas and views of how I wanted to run a service-based company. And I wanted more time for my music.

Do you mind telling us about your health issues?

LAH: It's a condition called Candida. Won't go into the details for the sake of time, but basically I have to control my diet in order to not go hay-wire or become un-functional. No starches, yeasts, sugars...basically I can eat veggies and meat. And water.

That sounds miserable.

LAH: It was a real challenge at first. But then you realize it really is a great way to eat and if it makes me feel better, then it's worth it. Candida isn't a permanent condition if you're strict enough for long enough and get sleep and exercise - and I think I am doing quite well now because I can eat some things out of the strict diet without the horrible aftermath. But I am still working on it.

You said you wanted more time for your music? What have you done with that?

LAH: [laughs] Nothing really! I have been too busy with work. Learning how a business operates - books, accounting, tax laws - etc. Not to mention design and site-work. I have practiced a bit off and on - but I thought I would dedicate hours each day...a pipe dream. Although I am picking up piano again in January...and maybe another instrument. Now that I have settled into more of a routine I think I'll make time for music. It's important to me.

What is your favorite part of running your own business?

LAH: I can create my own schedule for the most part - and decide how I want to do things. I can work late or work early...or both, which happens. But I love it. I love work. If I'm not working - I'm not as happy. But that being said, I can decide when to take a day or a week off, and not feel bad about it. But my projects come first, so if a personal trip needs to be canceled...it's canceled.

What's your least favorite part of running you own business?

LAH: I always tell people that I don't like the books...the accounting aspect. I never took a business class in my life and I failed (literally) accounting 101 in college. But as frustrating as the numbers can be - I like a good challenge and learning new concepts...so it's really a love-hate relationship with my Quickbooks software.

What is the favorite aspect of what you do as a landscape designer?

LAH: My clients are number one. I have a great set of clients that I love. I love meeting new people and creating something beautiful for them to enjoy for years and years. I like to see people happy. And I really enjoy my time with other contractors and subs on the project. They become a family for me and I learn so much from them! My project is number two. I adore being on site - it's my favorite place to be and I try to do all my concept designing on site. I also love the creative aspect as well and finding inspiration for different parts of a project, and then seeing it installed and come to life. Sometimes I get real nervous inside about the potential results. But when you see what was on paper now in a 3D form...it makes me smile.

What inspires you on your designs?

LAH: Music - soundtracks. I love to design to music. I can focus and dream and dream again. Also I draw inspiration from nature...tree patterns, clouds - the way leaves fall...just trying to learn from the best, the Master Designer.

Do you have a favorite soundtrack?

LAH: Nope. Just whatever type of music fits the feel of the project best is what I go with. Weather can help determine that too...

What do you do during the winter months? Does that affect your work?

LAH: Yes and no. I still have office design work through the winter - and not a lot of site work. But when you have a warm winter like this one - I am still on site off and on during the week. But it's nice to have a bit of a lull...then I can work on my blasted books. They take me forever...

So - PC or Mac?

LAH: Do I have to choose? That's like "Yankees or Sox?" I don't care who wins...just play ball! [smiles] Well - I have been using a PC laptop that I got at a pawn shop when I started out...but last week or so I got the new Mac Book. Upgrading a bit so I can be more efficient. It's still sitting in it's box. I think I'll look at it tomorrow. I like Apple, but now I have both.

Describe to us your dream project. If you could get any project - what would it be?

LAH: Well - I am living my dream project right now, actually! It's a very unique house nestled up in the mountains and is called Rivendell. If you are a Lord of the Rings fan, enough said. My name comes from LOTR so it was a perfect fit and I feel so extremely blessed every day that I have been able to be a part of this amazing project.

Is it complete?

LAH: The landscape? Not yet. Not 100%. I am still building Middle Earth - a 30' x 30' map in the middle of the driveway. Stone, colored glass, plant material....it's an art piece really! I'll finish it in the spring. Well - it's a work in progress...but it will "done" in the spring. There are other things at Rivendell that will need to happen over the next few seasons...more perennials, additional shrubs...and maybe some magical wind chimes. We'll see. But like I said, it's been my dream project. Once-in-a-life time opportunity. Of course, something over seas would thrill me.

Any particular country?

LAH: Nope. Anywhere. Anywhere where they need a design done.

Well, thank you for your time. Any last words before we wrap up?

LAH: Find what you absolutely love and do it! Maybe it'll be a hobby, or maybe it will turn into a regular job. But just do something in your life that you love. And see how you can make others happy while doing it. I love my work - and sure, there are days when situations are stressful and you want to scream. But as a whole, I love my work and I feel very fortunate that what I happen to love, can also put food on the table.

But just veggies and meat, right?

LAH: [laughs] ...right...but maybe I'll sneak some dessert!

3 comments: