Saturday, August 30, 2008

Sports Vicariously

So...Fall is on the verge of hitting me - and in years past that meant not only jackets (adore a good jacket), and the rich smell of forest decay, but college football. However, the past few years have been different and within the last year I have figured it out. Finally. And I don't mind admitting it.

I am not as much of a sports fan as I thought I was - or maybe as I once was.

BYU football starts today. And even though I am more than likely going to miss the game...I somehow do not mind.

You see - most of my life I have been a sports fan through others...and because of others. BYU football has been so dear to me most of my life because of my dad. The D-backs were my team because of Tressa (she's a sports stats nut - absolutely hilarious) - the Mariners? Well - Stephanie JB took me that time...and the Jayhawks won my heart because of my older brother.

Red Sox or Yankees you ask? Mets. Mets because of Natalie.

What I have discovered is that I am an athletics enthusiast. I thoroughly enjoy sports of all types and enjoy watching, playing, and cheering. (Minus NFL). But when it comes right down to it - I don't have a team, MY TEAM, that I follow closely or pledge allegiance or my life to.

And that's okay. I don't mind.

I'm sure I'll catch a game or two this fall of BYU Football, on TV or in person - I'll cheer, and clap, and boo - but if they lose, well, it won't ruin my day let's just say. Good game and better luck next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment