Sunday, August 03, 2008

9 lives

If I were to live 9 more lives...

...I would be an artist. I do consider my job as artistic. But I am speaking of pure fine art - painting, sculpture, pencil, charcoal...my subject matter would be everyday life situations that people can really relate to - something that would also make them stop and contemplate. Someday, in my house, I am going to have an entire wall dedicated to the practice of abstract art. I shall paint it, always coming up with different methods...arrows - rag throwing, spaghetti noodles, leaves, me. And every so often I shall repaint it, always using a different method. A revolving art piece.

...I would be a musician. Location: Seattle or Portland. I would practice hours and hours every day - and I would have 5 instruments that I was proficient on. What five? Well, the violin, the cello, the hammered dulcimer, the guitar, and the piano. What about banjo? That one - I would be almost proficient on, which would be good enough...genres...would vary. There are too many good ones to choose from. But I would be very good. Actually, I would really like to be a drummer in a band. So I guess that's 7 instruments. Wind-surfing would be my hobby of choice and the seafood would be oh-so-good.

...I would be a professional dancer: ballet, tap, hip hop and Irish. I would live in NYC - Spanish Harlem. I would make enough to get by and then some...but not too fancy, no.

...I would speak 7 different languages. Portuguese, French, Italian, German, Greek, Hebrew, and Afrikaans and/or Swahili. English not included, but I would also speak English. Maybe I should switch out Greek for Mandarin Chinese or Arabic...but I don't know.

...I would be a secretary (with a heavy southern accent) for some hoity-toity, big-wig member of the White House. They would give me really great bonuses because of my never-ending, ridiculous dedication - one at the end of the year, and one for my birthday. Yes!

...I would be a rancher. Out on the range, probably in Texas where everything is big, including my ranch house that would be so southwestern in style, in a white-wash kind of way, with a Mexican twist...cowboy up! Every weekend we would have fiestas with homemade tortillas and salsa with chicken cooked over the fire. We would laugh and relax and enjoy one another's company after a hard weeks work. Come on over and kick your feet up! Everyone is always invited. Limes and cilantro would definitely be included in the mix, I love limes.

...I would be an Olympic athlete. Winter Olympics - I would be a figure skater, naturally. (I am not a good ice skater). I would skate to Anna and the King track 2 for the short program and Gymnopedie No. 1 for the long program. I would have a coastal house (board and batten) somewhere back east, a beach house (more contemporary) in San Diego, and a mountain home (but not really UP in the mountains) in Utah - close to family. Of course I would still need to have a real profession...or maybe just a real husband (as opposed to a fake one?) with a real high-paying job. Gosh - in this life it seems that I am quite spoiled. 3 houses? Who needs 3 houses?

...I would be lost in the East African forests. It would all begin in Brazil where I would be kidnapped and taken by boat to some East coast region in Africa. There I would be traded for diamonds to some unheard of tribe. Because of my pale skin, blue eyes and red-hair they would mistake me for a goddess and I would become a part of their tribe. I would spend a total of 3 years with them - in which time I would learn their language and teach them the gospel. Some of their traditions would already reflect the inner workings of the teachings of Christ. Eventually I would be discovered by some National Geographic on-assignment team and then a documentary would incur...after all, they would have cameras and all of their other equipment - convenient. Upon being discovered, I would then be able to return home - to the states. I would depart by helicopter and...I would wear traditional tribal clothing home...a long candle-white dress, very plain and simple - a stiffer fabric with colorful stitchings on the edges. It would be a tearful parting, knowing that I would probably never see these people again. So dramatic. I would then join the on-assignment team for NG and become one of their writers.

...I would be a singer, an opera singer. Probably an alto - but a high alto. I love a good aria. I would also spend much time in 3rd world countries directing humanitarian projects that focused on heath care and the basic necessities of life. We would also have various activities for the people so that they could develop skills. One area of focus and reprieve from everyday worries would involved music - probably a choir-type situation. We would put on small performances for the locals and then become known world-wide. We would record a cd - and sell millions of copies. All proceeds would go to further the cause of our humanitarian efforts.

5 comments:

  1. Every time I read one of your post's that is similar to this it gives me a peek into your yet to be fully realized writing potential, and it puts a huge smile on my face. Zing! Keep doing what your doing and most of those 9 lives will be lived!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 Things:

    1 - As the secretary, I think it would be appropriate to have a really high bufont (sp?) hair do.

    2 - As a Texican rancher, I would come join you and live in one of your shacks that is reserved for the "help."

    3- I just straight love the National Geographic scenario. Mostly, because of the way you live your life, I don't see it as an impossibility.

    "Hey, what's Lorien up to lately?"

    "Haven't you heard? She discovered a tribe in Africa and is now their queen --wait, maybe they call her their high priestess, hmm, wait, now I remember: "Exalted One With Fire Hair," that's it. Anyway, I think she's doing pretty good."

    Hahaha!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ZiNG - wow - thanks for the comment! Writing is just one other part of my life that has been greatly influenced by yourself. Really. It all began with the paragraph about the magnolia trees and you told me I could write...the same day you put a catalpa leaf on your head and I thought you were crazy - in the best sense. :) I laughed. Thanks again.

    KaRa - you are hilarious...we need really need to do lunch or something sometime! Let's adventure together! When do you get back? Are you living in Pittsburgh??? WHAT!? And when I do make it to Africa, I'll fly you out for an afternoon brunch. Deal?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I expected your life as a Jane Goodall primatologist in a safari jeep with your binoculars and your camping gear to be up there somewhere on the list considering all those monkeys you collected every Christmas and birthday for years on end.

    M-O-M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lorien, I so love your posts. I go back and read some of them, and savor your thoughts and words. Just beautiful from someone who loves herself and life!

    ReplyDelete