Tuesday, February 26, 2008

We Danced Through the City Streets


This evening my sisters and I danced through the city streets.

Four times a year my family goes to watch and listen to the Utah Symphony at Abravanel Hall in Salt Lake City. Tonight was one of those four times. We had 8 tickets and I was one of the luckies who got to go.

The symphony itself was, of course, wonderful. Want to make me happy? :) Just take me to Abravanel Hall, and let me listen to the strings weave in and out of the woodwinds, brass, and percussion. Sigh with a smile.

After the program was over we headed back to the car that was parked underneath the Church Office building – so we took to the broad sidewalk along South Temple to reach our destination.

As we started to cross the street, leaving Abravanel Hall – the beeping noise from the 'walk' signal caught my attention: Beep, beep. Beep, beep. It was like a bird. And so what would any person do but mimic a bird going, beep beep, beep beep. My sister laughed.

The city then seemed to come alive with noise. Actually, it was more like music! And so my two sisters and I danced to the music...all the way down South Temple. We would listen, and hear – then with open, fluid and free-flowing movements we would create dances that would mimic the sounds we heard: The dang dang of tracks, the clip clop of the horse and carriage, the rush of falling water, the movement made by cars, and sometimes it was rather calm, surprisingly.

I love the streets of Salt Lake City in the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment