Saturday, February 02, 2008

Intermission

Pavane pour une infante defunte. It's what I am listening to right now while I sketch out some quick concepts for a local residence. The piece happens to be on my favorite childhood classical album: Pops in Love, which still remains a favorite. So romantic and definitely an evening album. 11 songs - nice.

Today was a good Saturday. I received a phone call at 7am from my sister. We were going to President Hinckley's funeral services and in order to avoid any potential problems we left at 8:37ish. As we were arriving to the conference center on foot, there seemed to be angelic music coming from the heavens; I looked upward. And it was just that! They had music of the Tabernacle Choir coming from speakers all over Temple Square. They were playing 'Homeward Bound' and I teared. My sister said I should invest in waterproof mascara. So moving it was, so appropriate. I think they should play music over the loud speakers regularly. It would inspire and settle.

I had brought a great book to read, but didn't even get five pages in. We were early enough to get the last bit of rehearsal of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. I was moved again. So much that it consumed me and took all my thought. They were practicing passages from "Crossing the Bar," the second number they sang during the services. Funny how a few chords sung vocally can have that much power.

The service itself was literally awe-some. Reverent beauty. A more than great way to spend the first half of a Saturday. And it is strange to think that come April our President Hinckley won't stand at the pulpit that was made from his own black walnut tree.

We arrived back home early afternoon. I ran errands, paid bills(hallelujah), ate lunch and returned home. Being so entirely drained in all aspects from the past week, I easily fell into a deep afternoon sleep, only to be disturbed hours later by my phone that wouldn't quit ringing. My youngest sister needed a ride somewhere...alright.

I was going to end this day by retiring rather early, but decided better to end this day by working, (as was mentioned in the first paragraph). I plan to work until these concepts are complete and out the door. I think I am coming up with some great ideas. :) Good thing.

I have shifted songs now, 'Homeward Bound' will keep me company for a bit. This brief blog intermission has come to a close, back to the drawing board. Cheers!

'Homeward Bound'

In the quiet misty morning
When the moon has gone to bed,
When the sparrows stop their singing
And the sky is clear and red.

When the summer’s ceased its gleaming,
When the corn is past its prime,
When adventure’s lost its meaning,
I’ll be homeward bound in time.

Bind me not to the pasture,
Chain me not to the plow.
Set me free to find my calling,
And I’ll return to you somehow.

If you find it’s me your missing,
If you’re hoping I’ll return.
To your thoughts I’ll soon be listening,
And in the road I’ll stop and turn.

Then the wind will set me racing
As my journey nears it's end.
And the path I’ll be retracing
When I’m homeward bound again.

Bind me not to the pasture,
Chain me not to the plow.
Set me free to find my calling,
And I’ll return to you somehow.

In the quiet misty morning
When the moon has gone to bed,
When the sparrows stop their singing
I’ll be homeward bound again.

No comments:

Post a Comment