Monday, February 11, 2008

the golden hour


Who doesn't just absolutely LOVE this time of day? It's 5:03 on Februay 11th and we are into the closing hour of daylight. This time of day makes me smile inside and out as I reach my nose towards the sun and breath in. It's a lyrical time of day for me and I feel bad for anyone who has to spend it shut in somewhere without a window - tragic! (I once had a job doing custodial work on the BYU campus. I thought it would be a good way to earn some extra cash during the summer months and my hours were from 6pm to 10pm. I lasted one...maybe two, days. I just couldn't take it! It wasn't the actual job itself - however dull and redundant; but it was the fact that I would have missed an entire summers-worth of sunsets and glory!)

Items that most definitely compliment the golden hour are as follows:

Porch swings - porch swings add life to living. They are a must and the fading rays of the day can be best absorbed while seated in a bench that beckons us to slow down and appreciate the simplicities of life. (or a comfy couch just inside a window facing west).

Cranberry-apple-rasberry blend by Minute-Maid - I once wrote a persuasive paper on this magnificent liquid - it was a great paper. Most juices, but especially this one, can only be fully experienced and enjoyed out of a clear glass. It simply tastes better. So while one sits on the porch swing, thoughts in full-sway, the last rays of the day pierce through the glass, making this divine beverage dance and sparkle with delight. Sometimes I think I even hear laughter.

Dandelions - dandelions are great, either in their yellow state or their white-wispy state. While yellow, weave a crown of gold to wear...princess of the sunset you'll be. While white and delicate - make a wish and blow...and then watch the individual seeds glow like pockets of sunbeams as they wander away in the soft breeze; choreographed art.

A friend - so now I am situated on the porch swing with a glass of chilled cranberry-apple-raspberry blend in hand (ice or no ice - take your pick), and a crown of gold resting upon my brow. But how beautiful really is a sunset if one must enjoy it alone? One must not forget to share this moment with a good friend, and good conversation. Take away my porch swing, my glass of liquid divine, and even my gold, but don't take away my friend. For that is really what makes a sunset so magical.

1 comment:

  1. Love ya Lorien. You are so insightful and I like the photos of your family. You are especially beautiful of late:)

    ReplyDelete