Wednesday, February 20, 2008

5 years ago to the day


It was five years ago to the day that I entered the MTC in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Five years sometimes seems like a long time ago...and other times, just right around the corner of the past. Missions are funny things, in an interesting way, and in a good way. What a life! Those sometimes long, and yet so short, 18+ months taught me an incredible amount about life and reality; and opened my eyes, ears, mind and mouth. It's sometimes hard to put into words the experience of a mission and right now is one of those times. Very hard, overwhelmingly rewarding, absolutely draining, bursts of energy, reoccurring blisters, ample tears (of joy and sadness), big smiles, hearty laughter, never-ending work, eternal love...sigh with a smile. I still try to keep up with my friends from Recife, they keep my soul grounded. And it has been a great blessing to watch them continue to progress and grow, and I continue to do so through them. So here's to some memories!


At the airport with the family


Typical street scene in Pau Amarelo, and yes - he is carrying a rather large pile of cardboard, etc. on his head.....


Coconut water...great beverage on a hot day


Olinda!


My MTC district - 8A - Love you guys!! We went into the field together


My dear, dear Familia de Santana


Melo and I on a P-day, lunch hour


Home - 2nd area


Gardner, we cruised


A short cut


Another short cut - if only there really was a train!


A dear sister, Iracema


My boys + Jackie


Tired shoes, and yes I was still using them


Our way in and out for a bit


Lunch with a recent convert...fish!


Football...it was played anywhere and everywhere!


In Brazil you can never go wrong with a thumbs-up, it's just what you do! J&C - my Brazilian grandparents


Last lunch - S. Johnson and I with the Penhas, good friends of my father


My first visit back and two of my favorites

1 comment:

  1. I love all those feet! I think I even know who they belong too.

    ReplyDelete