Saturday, May 15, 2010

More Kyoto

One always removes your shoes when you enter the house.  Slippers are waiting.  But when you enter a room of tatami mat, or where you dine - you slip off your slippers.  Wear socks.

My morning walk in the countryside was surreal.  Getting up early is underrated.  I think I'll sleep on the floor when I get back home.

Time to take a shower.  Here, it's a traditional shower room/steam room.  Pretty exciting.  Pretty exciting.

******

Back from a long day.  We saw Heian Shrine, Murian and Ginkakuji Temple.  Ginkakuji was my favorite.  After seeing Ginkakuji we walked along the Philosophers path...while walking back gongs sounded repeatedly from a nearby shrine or temple at wide intervals.  It was so appropriate and made the moment so fulfilling and each gong hung in the air.  Tomorrow we see Ryoanji (YES!) and Kinkakuji Temple. 

Have I mentioned how everyone rides bikes with baskets on the front?  All ages too.  What's even better is that I haven't seen a bike locked up yet!  I think that's pretty great - cause you would never see that in the States.  They are everywhere - mopeds and small street bikes too.  I could live here for a while and be very happy doing so.

Lots of suits.  Lots of suits.  And the streets are narrow.  I am always thinking it's a one way - and then here comes a car from the other direction.  Some how we pass by without incident.  Here you drive on the other side of the street.  Nice.

I am quite tired and will hopefully sleep well on the tatami mats tonight. 

I had so much to say but now that I have a chance at the computer - I'm stuck.

Lots of green.  There is a lot of green.  The architecture of the houses - I like.  The colors are very earthen and grounded.  It's a nice combination with the green world around them.  I like their architecture here.

There are aspects of Japanese lifestyle, culture and architecture that I would like to incorporate into my life when I get back to the states.  I am going to make a list of how I would like my house, how I would like to interact with those around me, and how I would like to get around.  The same respect that the people how to gardens and nature, is the same respect they show to their neighbors.  It's enjoyable watching people interact with one another.  No crass or crudeness here.  Sometimes I think America needs some propriety lessons, I mean seriously people.  America is so obsessed with media, shock value, pushing the line, the material lifestyle and things that just don't create a substantial life...

Our dinner was delicious.  A salad of lettuce greens, avocado, tofu and little crispy fish whose eyeballs you could still see.  Yum.  He's watching me..... we also had a pasta dish with bacon, broccoli, and something else.  It was so good.  It's rather neat how they have our breakfast and dinner set up.  As we are staying in a smaller village out in the country, the locals come into the house and cook for us.  We get real, home cooked, authentic Japanese food.  Tonight it was cooked by three young men.  It's was fun watching them whip up a Japanese cuisine.  It's great to interact with the locals as well and Saturday night I will be staying in the home of a family here.  Just me and them.  I am looking forward to it!  During the day we are in Kyoto and so we eat lunch in a restaurant.  Hopefully we'll get some sushi/sashimi soon. 

The group is real great.  11 of us - two professors, two female students, 5 male students and one father of one of the students - and me!  We all get along great and have a wonderful time navigating Kyoto together.  We also have some locals and an American that's living here helping us get around. 

I am excited to come back to Kyoto and to Japan!  I am already planning on it.  There are SO MANY temples and gardens to see.  I just can't belivee it.  We will only scratch the surface on this trip.  But this time here will give me a good foundation for how to get around and how the system works, etc - and create some great relationships for future visits (this fall maybe, if I have a real good season - or fall 2011).  But I would really, really like to come back with a boyfriend or my husband.  That's how I would prefer my international travels anyways - or any travels.  I want to share all of this I am experiencing with someone.  Someone other than random people, even though I love meeting new people.  But I'll keep going solo as long as needs be - which will hopefully not be that much longer, cause sharing life on a real and permanent level with someone sounds nice for a change.

****

Frogs are out in the rice fields.  I think that's what I am hearing...lots of them.  I love it. 

I love being here in Japan.  I love feeling the culture here.  I have waited and worked so hard for this.  Sometimes I still can't believe I am here, and I want to thank everyone who helped my get here.  Esp. my fam.

Anonymous - thanks for your comment on my last post.  I would really like to know who I am thanking however. 

Sybil - I don't know the cost of the food.  I just buy and eat.  I'll pay more attention.  But I think a regular McDonalds meal is 9 bucks - but that's McD's so....

Love you all - love all around...love and sushi.  Mom - I am taking you out to dinner when I get back if I come back....lol. 

3 comments:

  1. I have never really had the desire to go to Japan, but I have to admit that you have changed that! Just reading your blog makes me want to experience it there. It sounds so exciting and I am glad you made it!

    (Though I don't know how I would react to the food...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm taking you up on the dinner! Please do come back! It might be a long while 'til I get to Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I warned you about eating things with eyeballs still in them . . .

    ReplyDelete