Monday, May 24, 2010

Leaving Kyoto

We leave for Tokyo in two hours.  I am excited to see what the big city is like...

Kyoto and the surrounding areas are probably more traditional and conservative in public than Tokyo - the charmed, surreal and culturally rooted society that I have been describing the past two weeks will probably change.

I remain in awe by all that I have experienced here in Kyoto, Kameoka and Koyasan.  It`s been incredible and as I continued to move through various spaces - be it temples, gardens, shrines, or small alley ways and narrow streets, I have been formulating in my mind how all that I have absorbed may transpose itself into my design work.  I didn`t travel to Japan so that I could come back to Utah and design Japanese gardens specifically.  I came to be in the presence of greatness and deep beauty and to learn the designers` thought and philosophies so that I too may create more powerful landscapes.  Elements and ideas have come to me that have changed or magnified the way I view and approach the landscape for the residential setting. 

One area of my thought is that the success of the garden isn`t a one-man act.  Architecture and people/culture are two other necessary aspects of an inpactful residential space.  I am impressed by how much architecture depends on the garden/landscape and by how much the beauty of the garden relys on the design of the architecture.  They should enhance and compliment each other - many times it is because of their differences which creates such a powerful combination.  They each bring something to the moment that the other cannot, but that the other needs...like a successful human relationship.

I need to think more about the above paragraph so much more...

I don`t know.  I have been thinking... how can I put real time to what I feel in my heart and see in my mind?  Maybe I`ll get a masters in Architecture so that I can have more influence over the important connection of house and garden!  But I don`t think that`s my path at this point...eehhh....or maybe I need just the right relationship with an architect or builder.  One where we collaborate our individual responsibilites and strengths.  Create a system of synergy.  I think the results would be thrilling and important.   

So much to think about!  Can`t believe I`ll be home Friday...         

1 comment:

  1. I can see you are beginning to connect the east with the west. It will be great to have you back.

    ReplyDelete