Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Last Day in Kyoto

I have sat down several times to type out my last day in Kyoto...but I can't seem to get past the first sentence.  Eh......

It is rainy - REALLY rainy.  My shoes and socks and the bottoms of my jeans are VERY soaked while staying dry on top with my large umbrella - my compact umbrella stayed in Koyasan.  I contemplate heading back and waiting until this heavy fall lets up, but I still go... go to Kiyomizu.  There is a dark tunnel I walk through - I grasp a rope of large beads and let it lead me into the darkness... into the darkness... I pass through some black cloth, representing entering the womb.  I am barefoot.  I follow the darkness until I see a large stone sphere in the short distance lit by a soft light... almost as if the light has hands that are gently but purposefully placed upon the stone.  I let go of the guiding beads and approach the stone.  There's an etching that I see and feel as I pass my hand over the rough surface.  Only me and the stone exist in the universe.  I pray a desire as I rotate the heavy stone.  One turn.  For a moment I linger... pondering over my prayer.  The beads lead me through another black cloth and into the light.  I am born into the world again with a wish and a prayer to find me.

*****

Kodai-ji was wonderful.  I paid more attention to people's reactions to the gardens around the temple - and how the gardens influence and affect those who spend time with them.  It was beautiful to watch.  I want to develop garden spaces that create a moment that people seek for in life.

I prefer temples over shrines.  They seem to have something more to them that resonates with me.

*****

I learned that in zazen you shouldn't shut or eyes 100%.  While mediating you should have them barely open - just enough so you can see about three feet in front of you.  If you look at the Buddhas you will see that the ones whose eyes seem closed are really just barely closed.  It's the idea that you still stay connected and of use to humanity, even while separating yourself from it.  Be in the world, but not of the world.

I miss Kyoto.

No comments:

Post a Comment