Sunday, May 23, 2010

A breakfast idea

My mind has been running a million miles a minute since breakfast.  It`s already on overload-mode from absorbing so much visual spelndor and how that will affect my work, thought, and actions as a landscape designer. 

This morning as I was eating breakfast and chatting about what-not with an OSU professor an idea came to me.  BYU needs to have an international program for the Landscape Management Program, of which I am an adjunct faculty member.  The reason why OSU comes to Kameoka each year is because Stillwater is a sister city with Kameoka - that is where their relationship started.

I needed a similar foundation as a springboard for initiating an international program for the BYU Landscape Management program.  Sister cities.....hmmmm - does Provo have a sister city?

Yes....

In 1999 officials from Nanning, China visited Utah to sign a sister-city agreement with Provo...  Mayor Guoqiang said that one of the reasons he wanted to become a sister city with Provo was because of it`s church heritage.  ‘Mormonism`, he said, `is quite close to the traditions of the Chinese.`
I couldn`t have been more thrilled when I found the above article.  The program could spend 1.5 weeks in China and then 1.5 weeks in Kyoto for a three week experience.  Students would have course requirements and would receive credit.  It`s just a birth of an idea at this point, but when I return I am going to present these thoughts to the department and see what I can do to get this program established.  The trip could occur every two years and would be for seniors and juniors.  Provo even has a `Friendship Garden` somewhere commemorating this relationship we have with China.  Awesome.

I have been noticing the similarities between Buddhism here in Japan and Mormonism...and have found many parallels and similarities.  I still have a lot to research about Buddhism...but some/many things are uncannily alike.  It will be interesting to study more about Chinese tradition and religion to find the common ground Mayor Guoquiang sees and feels.

Woohoo.  

2 comments:

  1. I see many trips to the Orient in your future.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there are many similarities between our beliefs and buddhism. As I've read some the buddhist texts I've thought that they have some beliefs are very fitting with ours.

    The idea for an international program sounds really great! What an experience that would be. I bet you could get something like that going! That would be so exciting!!!

    Have a great day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete