Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Koyasan

It`s raining here on Mount Koya.  Just last night I decided that today I would leave the group and venture out on my own...to Koyasan. 

It was to be a day trip.  A day to clear my mind - have some peace and thinking space - and to adventure and navigate Japan solo...

I started the morning out with the group as we left Kyoto...at Osaka they went up and I stayed down...heading to Namba station.

Eventually I made my way to Namba and caught the Nainka Line...(I think that`s how it is spelled) - an 90 minute train ride into the mountains of Japan.  Amazing scenery.  I knew as I was on the train, one afternoon was not going to be sufficient.

I had only my handbag with my passport, money and an umbrella....

After the train we hopped on a cable car - then caught a bus to Koyasan.  Once on foot and once I saw what surrounded me I knew I would stay the night.  I`ll be staying in a temple - sleeping on a tatami mat surrounded by Shogi walls.  I have nothing with me for an overnight stay - but Peter Lassig told me if I ever had a chance to stay in a temple overnight - to take it.  So I am.  Somehow it seems appropriate that I have nothing with me.

I called the group and told them I would meet up with them sometime and somewhere in Kyoto tomorrow.  It:s Koyosan tonight.

The temple closes at 5.  So I need to sign out.  Everything here closes at 5.  What I have seen already has been just remarkable - breathtaking.  I`ll write more on Koyasan tomorrow night when I am back in Kameoka....

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like quite a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May peace be with you! It sounds beautiful.

    ReplyDelete