Saturday, May 15, 2010

Last Thursday

Last Thursday as I was wandering Kyoto solo - I went to see the Higashihongan-ji Temple.  The weather was overcast with intermittent misty rains.  I was impressed by the size of the temple - And later found out that it's the largest wooden structure in the world.  It was really impressive...the size if the columns...size if the doors...the size of the wooden floor members...all huge!  Detail in the architecture was intense.  I walked up the wooden steps - and came to a landing.  A monk walked over and in a very polite, friendly and humble manner, motioned that this was not an entrance - I went back down and around to the front of the building.  I climbed the stairs again.  We were supposed to take off our shoes.  No shoes in the temple.  I think that's the other thing the monk was motioning as he was pointing at my feet as well during his motions. 

I walked around barefoot.  The tatami mats filled the large hall, people were praying.  Walking just outside the hall, the aged wooden floor felt like worn leather beneath my feet.  It was good to walk barefoot.  One connects with the temple on a different level if one is barefoot.  Everything you feel is intensified.

Also - before one enters the temple there is a place of washing out in the large and open courtyard.  You come to the place of water - like a font - there are ladles placed on waters edge.  You dip the ladle in the water - pour the water over each hand - the water running over your hands must not be poured back into the clean water - but in the gravel or area beside the font.  After you have washed your hands then you fill the ladle once more and let the water run down to handle - to cleanse it.  Then you may enter the temple.

I then went to see the Shosei-en Garden afterwards.  Here I learned about streams and how what is underneath affects what is above.  I suppose that's another metaphor for life.  Depending on the placement and size and quantity of rocks below the surface of the water will determine how the water looks on the surface, whether serene and peaceful, rough or bubbly, or rampant and raging.  Who we really are reflects through. 

On May 15th at the Heian Shrine, I learned the importance of sunlight and preserving areas in the garden of complete, open sunlight.  I sat on a large rock, basking a bit while sketching this area so that I may remember.  One doesn't always want to rest in the cool of the shade.  Sunlight warms you and brings color.  Have both in the garden, and both in life.

At some point, I will talk about Shibusa....

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing these sights and thoughts and feelings! I'm glad you're having this experience. Your descriptions have given me the opportunity to recall my trip to Japan & Korea. A different approach to things in many respects. I was always struck by the use of water and light, both being things I love.

    Interesting comments on getting up early. The Lord certainly recommends it!

    Sometimes to see the same truth from a different mountain brings it more powerfully to our souls.

    ReplyDelete