Saturday, May 15, 2010

5 am

The house is quite.  Everyone is sleeping.  I'm awake.

I move the sliding panel just enough to let me through, grab a laptop and head down the steep flight of stairs to another open room of tatami mats.  Here I can see out into the front garden.  Much green and three stone lanterns.  I'll be going for another morning walk.  Longer this time.

Many of the rooms are divided by sliding panel that have translucent paper or another type of translucent material between them.  It allows light to filter through and the whole house becomes one space of soft glow.  I love this.

People are starting to rouse...that's the other thing - everyone is so much connected with everyone else in the house...what one does effects the others.  At least as far as sleeping goes and waking early.  But that's a good metaphor for life I think as we tend to sometimes like to think that "my actions only effects myself sometimes, so I can do what I want...."

I am going to do some reading now.  Reading then walking.

***

Dear Anonymous - I guess you wish to remain anonymous?  I really don't know who you are, ...I have ideas - but I am probably wrong... 

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your descriptions of your journeys. Japan does sound lovely. It sounds surreal, like an old movie that doesn't exist anymore. I thought the west had corrupted Japan long ago. I didn't realize they still held to their traditions. That is great. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete