Saturday, March 22, 2008

flowers for mourning

Flowers have been used in burial rituals for hundreds of years. In more ancient times they were used to mask the odor of body decomposition. Although I do not know the complete history of flowers used for funeral services, they now are an important part in honoring the dead and to show sympathy to the grieving. They are a way to communicate love, sympathy and respect. And although they do not fill the empty void left behind by the one we love, they add life and hope to the day of mourning.


This is Elaine, by Toby Edward Rosenthal, oil on canvas, 1874. It was inspired by Alfred Lord Tennyson's "Lancelot and Elaine," and as I look at it, it is hard to take my eyes away. Death is taking her and her boat is adorned with flowers, beautiful flowers.

Last night I received a call from my mom. Her dear dear friend had passed away earlier this week and this morning was her funeral service. My mom had buckets of flowers and wanted help creating three flower arrangements. We met at 10 and finished after mid-night. My mom really was the master at work, I just helped with a few ideas here and there. But this morning as I walked into the chapel I noticed how beautiful they looked up on the stand and was grateful that I had the opportunity to help in some small way.

Last night was Good Friday, and as I was preparing to go over to my parents house, I thought of what Mary and others might have been doing the evening that the Savior died. How their hearts must have hurt. I wonder if they used flowers in the mourning process, along with the spices and oils.

Tomorrow we remember His resurrection; his triumph over death. Easter Sunday. And because he lives, we all will live again, including my mom's dear friend. I am ever thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment