Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Away

If I could imagine myself away...I would imagine myself away to a chair in front of a fireplace...

It was a cold day today, and the wind was brutal. I spent two hours on site taking measurements and making sure the house was positioned accurately on the site plan. One never knows, and it's not uncommon for the house to be 7' this way or 5' that way. Curious.

I am still cold and the cup of warm broth didn't make it to my bones.

Yes - curled up in a big chair in front of a fireplace. A thick blanket. Then I could warm myself. No hot chocolate, no books, no music...no noise at all...except for the occasional sound a of page being turned from the person sitting on the nearby couch. They would be reading some enlightening book about great ideas...what exactly, I am not sure. Occasionally they might mutter something...

No conversation is needed this time, just the company.

I would sit, entranced by the flicker. What is it about fire that mesmerizes me so? I think it takes us all. It takes me away. To nowhere. To a place where thoughts cease and my mind rests and no clock tower can find me.

Maybe I would fall asleep.

4 comments:

  1. You should come down to Arizona. I was shivering too yesterday, but it was like 72 degrees. I can't wait 'til winter is over!

    P.S. Thanks for adding us to your contacts list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know ryan, i have been thinking of hitting the arizona sun soon - but it would be to the mesa area. where are you guys again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're in Tucson. Yes, Tucson is a little ghetto, but it IS warm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I must weigh in here and urge you to come down to AZ and visit us in Phoenix!!! I would love to see you and if you need a city, we've definitely got one to please. You are so great Lorien and I love your musings and ponderings on life.

    ReplyDelete