Monday, October 26, 2009

Chicago Day 8: Monday I




Monday I spent time on campus in the Bond - the architecture building on the campus of Notre Dame.  I was introduced to studio to see where all the great brains spatter their knowledge and grand ideas on paper through pencil.  I LOVE studio; I love drafting tables and tools, lamps and pencil lead, and on and on.  We searched through the archives in the basement and then I took a nap on some comfortable red couch somewhere on the second floor where I didn't disturb anybody and they didn't disturb me.  I seem to always find places to nap while on a trip.
I love it. 

There were some big books in the depths of the Bond.




 
There so much to learn, like how to properly create letters.  Amazing.


Check out the progression of these drawings.  How laborious to have drawn all this out over and over and over.  I think it's super neat and would love to know who did all these!





We wandered around some house that is now a museum - for what I do not know - but the wall system was cool - had a unique mortar system and the columns reminded me of chess pieces from some ancient past era.


The Pawn: "Look at that.  I got him thinking.  I got him thinking.
Maybe I can win a pawn.."

The Rook: "Petey just hung his Rook!"

Indulge me a little - this is for A.

Is that the best you got?
That's the best you got?
You ain't got nothing.
You sure you've played this game?
You want to go to Chinatown and play Chinese checkers?
No, that ain't it.
You want that? O.K.
You can have that.
But you can't have that. That's my baby.
You got to leave with that.
You can't trade queens with me.
I ain't in the trading business.
What you trying to do?
You're going to have to do better than that.
That's Kamran Shirazi.
That's Kamran Shirazi.
That's Kamran Shirazi, man.
Shirazi!
The Grandmaster's here.
You come to hustle the hustler.
Don't look at my clock. My time is fine.
I want to go home.
Come and take my money.

Pardon, just needed a SFBF moment....back to South Bend!


  The above photos are from the house with the chess pieces.

That really aren't chess pieces...

Also, I realize that while all of these photos from my trip thrill me for various reasons, they might not thrill all of you.  And that's okay.  I took over 1,000 and you only have to see 100 or so.   


5 comments:

  1. Your excitement is contagious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pictures. And thanks for the SFBF references. Sigh. I love that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They thrill me. I am mystified why when I take a picture it doesn't look quite like yours, or Bethany's or Natalie's. I need to figure that out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you've got me wanting to watch SFBF! REally.... especially with fall weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've loved seeing all the pictures! You have so many great ones...those on the shore were gorgeous as well!

    ReplyDelete