Friday, October 16, 2009

Chicago Day 2: Tuesday Part 1


We started the morning out in Oak Park.  This is where Frank Lloyd Wrights home and studio are located, along with several residential homes that he designed.  Funny that this is the only picture I took of his home and studio.  Inside photography is not allowed and I guess nothing captivated me enough on the outside.  I have an interesting relationship with Mr. Wrights architecture.  I don't feel loved in it.  I have tried to as I have studied it and seen it over the past 4 years.  I do appreciate his mind and love some of his thinking as an architect. Brilliant in many ways.  But as a whole, when it's pieced all together I feel too dark, and too....I don't know.  I just wouldn't want to live in one of his houses.  Sorry.  I have yet to see Falling Water, which might brighten my mind to Wrights work, but for now my opinion remains the same as it has for years.
However, this sculpture did take me.  Man's struggle?  Struggle for what.  Struggle to become?  Struggle to rise from this fallen world we are in?  Maybe something so different.  But whatever is causing this being to fold and hide himself into this position, I relate.




I have been taking pictures of trees.  Lots.  My favorites are the ones that show the branching patterns.  They fascinate me and I find them to be very beautiful.




The ceiling of the Unity Temple.  Another one of Frank Lloyd Wrights works.  Again....liked certain details and thoughts, but as a whole I wasn't in awe.  Many others were quite taken with it, indeed.  But not I.  But do notice the details in the above picture.  Note how each glass panel is the same design, but rotated 45 degrees to create repetition with variety.  Cool. More pictures below.








Love the red phone booth.  Love it.  Ring, Ring!


After Oak Park we ventured to Columbus Park.  See this lovely large flock of geese?

I wonder what would happen if I chased after them.

?






They take flight and make for the river.  I was with the group at the time, walking down the trail.  I was walking out in front with Peter Lassig, of whom I will speak of later.  I mentioned something about chasing after the geese, and as we were approaching them and getting closer and closer with each step, he said, "Oh, I can't help myself."  And we both took off running.  Now, Peter is 72 and is currently with Parkinsons disease - but we ran and waved our arms anyways and had a great laugh.


The Council Ring at Columbus Park.  30' diameter.

No comments:

Post a Comment