Tuesday, November 02, 2010

A Work Day

.....asked me if I wanted to go to Ginkakuji and then walk the philosophers path along the eastern mountains to hear the temple bells at 5.  Aw.

Yeah Right.

"I am going to sit by a river.  Maybe that little deck where the willows weep into the water."

"Ah, I was planning on going by there later."

Looks like I am switching rivers.  Besides, I need one of the larger rivers anyways...and I walked philosophers path Sunday evening in the rain.  And I saw Ginkakuji in the spring.  Sorry Kampai King, no alone time with the ginger.  And actually, I am not sorry at all.

It was a work day.  We pruned trees in the the Imperial Palace Garden Park grounds.  Equiped with Japanese pruners, we went to work with the Imperial Palace gardeners and learned along side them.  I can`t say that I subscribe to all of their pruning techniques, but there are some things I will incorporate into my gardening style.  There`s a fine line between enhancnig a trees beauty and really showing off it`s structure by shaping and cutting, and pruning so deeply so that the plant feels like it can`t reach it`s potential and fulfill it`s purpose as a creation.  Sometimes I think the trees here are a little hindered.

I will talk about other wrestles I have later in regards to the gardens here.  Maybe wrestle isn`t the proper word...I just have to make some decisions.

I need some separation from the group.  No matter how wonderful the dynamics and personalities are - I need some solo time to wander.  To think and not think.  To find a noodle shop and get a bowl of soba.  I have had my udon and ramen.  Now I just need soba.  And as always, sushi.  It`s been a blast going out everynight with various people to the different areas of Kyoto and discovering the streets, narrow and wide.  Kyoto in the day is wondrous.  Kyoto in the dark has a hint of intrigue.  I have enjoyed the company of others so much and we have had wonderful times together.  Just last night we were down in Gion.  Wandering along the cherry tree lined canal, we crossed a stone bridge and ducked into a small restuarant.  You never are really sure what you are getting.  The hanging cloth with Japanese writing hangs over the top part of the doorway.  We were seated on the floor with a inlaid skillet as the center of our low table.  Our view was out to the low lit canal and the prices were fair.  The food was excellent.  As it most always is.  Afterward we wandered more streets...just whatever took our hearts we followed.  We passed a Geisha heading to work.  To see one in person is simply exquisite!  Beauty like a magnolia blossom.  They really are breathtaking.  Caucasians look so silly, okay - stupid, when they dress as a Geisha and powder their face white.  Unless maybe your little girl is one for Halloween.  I think our noses and eyelids are too big.  That being said, Kimono is extemely comfortable to wear. 

So tonight I am off on my own.  Wahoo.

    

    

1 comment:

  1. I think a little alone time might do him some good - perhaps he will miss his wife a little bit more! No ring - it's probably in his pocket.

    ReplyDelete