Thursday, November 11, 2010

Various Pictures with Captions

Kyoto is actually pretty big

A view from the northeast

I find I am just as attracted to the architecture here as I am the gardens.  Really they go hand in hand, you can't talk about one without discussing the other. 

At the Imperial Palace.  The prince was in town the day we were there!  High security.

The detail - they paint the ends white as a sealant

I think the curve of the roof line silhouettes on the temples and imperial buildings are rather attractive and somewhat sexy

Cleaning the moss - gardening is intense here, I tell you

Let's see....let me introduce the guys...

I think I have mentioned how much they love jazz music here, and many more funky music

So perfect that they leave the random pine growing in the bamboo shop.  So Japanese.

Wybee (I am not sure how to spell it), Mr. Takemata, and Prof. Amasaki.  Takemata is a 10th generation bamboo guy.  Number 11 is trained and the 12th is in diapers!

How many businesses can say family owned and operated since 1688!?

A visit to a private residence of a typical Machiya

Where there's wood, there's no shoes.

A detail of the courtyard garden.

The ceiling for the entry way.  What a wonderful way to be welcomed home!  I wonder what they do when it rains...



5 comments:

  1. Love the pictures. Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't know about the jazz thing. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the pics. A picture is worth a thousand words but I'm not sure that applies when they are your words. Sometimes your words are worth a thousand pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such an artist. Love all these pics. Did you find yourself more aware of what kind of socks you were putting on more than you do in the states?

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, I have a few rules with socks. I won"t keep a pair if they have even the slightest hole - and I don't wear white socks really, and they don't have to match what I am wearing.

    I like colorful socks - so no - not really.

    ReplyDelete