Monday, November 09, 2009

Portland Trip: Saturday "Bontei"


Saturday Jenn and I attended the Opening Reception and Gallery Talk of Marc Peter Keane's Bontei Trays at the Portland Japanese Gardens.  It was for these brief hours that my entire trip to Portland was born.  The goal was to meet Keane face to face.  The goal was accomplished.

Marc Peter Keane, a landscape architect, is a top Japanese garden designer in the world. He lived in Kyoto for almost 20 years and has designed gardens in Japan for private residences, companies, and temples.  His Bontei trays are just now on display in the Portland Japanese Gardens - which was the cause for the opening reception and gallery talk.


We arrived at the gardens at 4:30 and made our way to the Garden Pavilion where the reception was being held.  Jenn and I were definitely the youngest of the group!  I decided it best to meet Mr. Keane before his Gallery Talk which would begin at 5PM.  I wasn't sure what to say or how to introduce myself, but Jenn helped me through it by practicing with me before I made my way over to his presence.  I am usually very comfortable with meeting someone with whom I have never met - I converse easily.  But for some reason I was a little more nervous about this one.  But once I had the chance to approach Mr. Keane, it was all old hat from there.


His suit was quite interesting.  If you pay attention to it in the following photos you'll see the influence of East Asia.  It was in the browns, almost like a wood grain.  Oh - and he was very kind, very polite - and in fact gentle and a gentleman.

When he found out I had come from Salt Lake City just for this event he seemed quite pleased, as I had traveled the furthest (besides him).  As I mingled with other attendees at the reception word spread.  Once lady said, "Oh, you're the one who came all the way from Salt Lake!"


I had just finished reading his book, "The Art of Setting Stones".  A wonderful read.  I had a copy with me, and asked Mr. Keane if he would sign it.

He pulled out a brush - I think it was a calligraphy brush - to sign my book.  His signature was like a painting on the inside cover, as all signatures should be.  I was explaining to him my experience I had with this particular book of his.  I told him I could only read a chapter at a time.  I had to let each chapter settle; I had to mull over what I had just experienced.  Each chapter was so rich, that to allow it the proper space to expand, it needed time.

He told me that's exactly how it should be read.


A Drawing by Marc P. Keane - there were several of these around the pavilion; each one so fantastic.  I wish you could have seen them all in person.


A better look at the front of his suit?
During the Gallery Talk, he went to each piece and talked about it.  He answered questions and filled my mind with running thoughts and insights.  It was fantastic how much thought and mindfulness went in to each piece, each Bontei Tray he created.  I wish so desperately that I could share all that I soaked in during those few hours.  I should be typing it all out right now.  But it wants to sit inside me for a while longer.  What I learned was very special and important for me and requires a certain setting in order for me to share properly my thoughts and Mr. Keane's words.


  After the Talk I mingled among the folk.  Met some great personalities and had some light lemon water with ordourves of roasted pumpkin (which was also served before the talk).  Before leaving, I talked with Marc again, to thank him for his words and how each piece expanded in beauty as he spoke (I think I might have used the word exploded...lol).  He told me about a program he does in Kyoto each year.  An intense two-week workshop on Japanese Garden Design.  It's attended from people all over the world.  He said if when I send in an application, to write a brief note reminding him of who I am, and he would see to it that I got in! 


It was a pleasing evening and worth the trip.  Now I still have three days of soaking-in to do in various gardens and parks around Portland.


Thank you, Marc Peter Keane -
for opening my mind and placing wonder inside.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds so exciting! He seems like a quality person. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh - I wish I was with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool experience to meet someone you've learned so much from. I hope you can go to his workshop next!

    ReplyDelete