Saturday, November 07, 2009

Portland Trip: Friday "Oh Glorious"

Okay - many of you are wondering if I have more than just a computer and a camera in my life because of how frequently I post.  Yes, yes I do.  I have my friend Jenn for starters.

And today we went to Cannon Beach.  I am staying in Hood River, which is in the gorge, for a week to study gardens, parks, architecture, art - etc.  You know, like Chicago!  So we are going to jump to Oregon real quick, but I'll be taking you back to Illinois every once in a while.  Let's keep this real-time.


Last time I was here at Cannon Beach was April 08.  Seeing it in the fall is incredible because all of the sea side grasses were full and thick.



Haystack Rock.

It was a bit windy - a storm was brewing out in the waters beyond.  It was exciting to watch!


Foam, foam and foam was everywhere!  It was so beautiful, almost unreal.  The waves were so frothy and rolling and rumbling.

So I frolicked.  As I do when at Cannon Beach.  Next time could someone frolick with me?  PLeaSe?


See all that frothy sea foam!  It almost looks like snow.  Now you are going to see a series of shots in the froth.  These plethora of pictures are for my mother - as all mothers want to see a lot of pictures of their kids in froth.  Plus, my mom would play in this with me. 
You better believe it.


It was an incredible evening on the coast.  So much so. 

I think you may know by now how much I love the coast - the shoreline.  I have talked about this before.  I am so happy here.  I try to hit a coast/beach consistently and so far - I haven't done too bad.  Which coast will I see next?

The water was higher than it was in the spring of 08.  Naturally the sea does that.  Of course.  Before I could walk out to Haystack.



Shall we watch some of the sea foam recede?  Okay.


Awesome.

 
This man was on the shore as well.  I asked him if he was a local.  He was.  I asked him if the high quantity of foam and froth was typical in the fall.  He said it was because of the storm.  I asked if the storm was coming or going.  He said it was happening right at that moment.  We looked out at the sea together.  The waves were breaking at an incredible distance and at incredible heights.  It was majestic.  He said he had never seen anything like this before, that it was just amazing.  And as we both stood there in our black rain boots, we smiled at the ocean and at each other because we were both on that beach at that time to witness this storm, this event, this rarity.  It was such a human moment.  And I love those moments. 
I live for those moments. 
 
(this is me living for those moments?)

 Actually that was me thinking...... of Anne of Green Gables.  You knew it, right?  Of course with all of that lovely grass and sand how could I not reenact the scene where Anne and Diana are running through the grasses and sands themselves?  Oh yes, I did.  All I lacked was a great dress with poofy sleeves...


 
Um.  Yeah - I eventually did make it down through the grasses and sand.  Lol. 


Foam on the boots - sand on the face.



Thanks Jenn - for such a free reeling evening!





4 comments:

  1. Oh I so loved this post!!! Thank you!!! It felt real and refreshing and I could almost feel the seaspray on my face. It was delightful - especially the part about Anne and Diana and the grasses and sand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little Lorien and I would definitely frolick with you. We are ocean lovers and will be visiting one soon! I will take frolicking pictures as well. Coming soon to a blog near you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you thank you for posting your "mom" pictures. Your Mom truly did enjoy them and wished that she was frothing with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steph - I am so excited for you and LL. Yes - post your costal pics!

    ReplyDelete