Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Alexei Yagudin

We were enthralled, enchanted, obsessed... and watch his "Overcome" routine over and over and over for the following several YEARS.

ALWAYS At 1:33 we would all scream and shrill like school girls, you know, the kind who shrill at anything really.  We would rewind, watch, scream for joy...rewind, watch, scream for joy....rewind, watch, scream for joy.  Repeat that three more times.  Or three hundred.

Alexei's artistry and soul captured us as his prisoners, and I am sure we ranked among his biggest fans.

I can't even count how many times we have reenacted minutes 2:59-3:04!  And the heart beating poetic motions at 3:19 - and I musn't leave out the movements at 3:27.  And....

So here's to all of my beloveds: Bethany, Kimberly, KK - was Nat as obsessed or did she just roll her eyes at us?  And even though my dad wasn't an avid watcher - I am sure he remembers this phase we went through as it would be very late and we would be trying to contain ourselves just feet from his bedroom as he tried to sleep.  Cheers to us who have watched and screamed too many times.  Let's do it again, shall we?  Somebody find the tape!  This YouTube video DOES NOT DO IT JUSTICE.

For the rest you commoners....here's what we raved about - and still do!

5 comments:

  1. Ah yes, the Yagudin years !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha. I remember those years too. I remember sitting with you guys and laughing myself to death because it was so fun to see you screaming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes, I might have recorded over it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a copy with a higher resolution. It was an amazing performance :-) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHxBvJgKLgA&feature=related

    ReplyDelete