Thursday, April 10, 2008

Simple Inspiration

Last night I rode on a school bus. To Salt Lake City.

The last time I was on a school bus was...well - I suppose it would have been in high school when our sports teams went to state and we dressed up in crazy maroon and gold, and a decked-out school bus was our means of transportation. I am used to the green seats. Last night they were red.

My sister works for a local school district which teaches and oversees youth that are in foster care. They go to all the big shows that come through SLC for arts credit. They had some extra tickets - and I was happy to join the crowd!


The show of the evening was Annie at Kingsbury Hall! I hadn't seen Annie (the movie) in YEARS...the performance was so delightful and the cast was wonderful. Miss Hannigan was hilarious and the orphans adorable. Such talent. And there were so many little girls in the audience that it made the experience all the more magical.

I did love the show, a highlight of my week, and I came out singing "it's a hard knock life for us!" - but my favorite part of the evening happened on the bus ride up.

Whenever this group of students takes an arts trip to Salt Lake, the director of the program has them memorize and pass off poetry. I received a sheet myself and choose to memorize a part of an Emerson essay.
It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion
It is easy in solitude to live after our own
But great the man, is he, who in the midst of the crowd
Keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of his character

I have almost got it, and it seems to help if one tries it with a bit of an English accent - especially on the last two lines.

The bus was full of youth that one would typically, by
"normal social standards", not expect to memorize poetry. Piercings, interesting language, skulls, black, skate boards, bold eyeshadow, etc. These kids were great. There was one in particular that sat in the very back alone. Earphones in...lost in his music. The director called his name. "Would you care to start us off? Inspire us?"

The boy stood, came forward a few steps, and started quoting a poem. "Louder!" The director called out. It was "Oh Captain! My Captain!" by Whitman. The sun was setting and the last rays of the day filled the interior of the bus and all was aglow. Cool-warmth. With a little more volume, and a little more determination, the boy proceeded with the poem, only stumbling a few times, and as he did he laughed to himself and continued on. There was a look of humble greatness about him. When he concluded all clapped and cheered! Then in unison let out a loud "Boo-yah!" Inspiring? Yes.

Poetry was in the air on the ride up and on the ride back...with eager, and in some cases, almost eager, students going up to the director every so often to recite what they had just taken to heart. Reward: a candy bar and a sense of great accomplishment.

Something happens to a person when they are quoting poetry, especially when it is memorized. They get this certain look in their eyes - as if they are seeing into a different world than the one that is physically around them. It was an awesome sight to see this youth quote Whitman. I love to watch people quote poetry and other types of writings, they take me with them. I am not very good at it myself, memorization that is, but I am determined to get a few in this year.

I can't imagine that these students lives are very easy. And I wondered how they viewed the show Annie - being in the situations that they found themselves in. I am grateful to their director for inspiring them with great words and great ideas. I hope that these youth go on to greatness and realize what potential they have, and that they can continue to inspire those around them as they did me, yesterday evening on a school bus.

1 comment: