Tuesday, July 22, 2008

There's no place like home

The phrase "There's no place like home," passed through my mind yesterday - and I realized that it was true...because right now, there's not.

But it's not what you are thinking. Read it again.

"There's no place like home."

For the past few months I have been here and there, no place has really seemed to take me and make me feel comfortable...or "at home." (except for certain cemeteries, but that's another post, and no I am not morbid)

For me, right now, there is no place like home, or that is like a home. I feel like my life is in a suitcase and I am not sure where my tickets that I purchased are taking me to. Is there a train that comes with this ticket? A free meal?

For the next several months - it will be the same. I will be here and there and end up who knows where.

This evening I was at my place, playing guitar - I looked around and realized that it wasn't so familiar. I was a stranger in my own home...and a feeling of awkwardness overwhelmed me. I packed up and left. I may stop by for a visit every now and then - as I am welcome that is. But for now - I'll take that free meal and a ticket to ride.

All aboard!

2 comments:

  1. I think I understand what your saying. I feel like my little fam has been in a sort of limbo and I'm just waiting for our place, Our Home, not a rental, not the grandparents, but ours. A place I can paint the colors I want, that I can buy furniture for, that I can set up an art area for my kids...etc. etc.

    C.S. Lewis would say that some of that feeling comes from being away from God, and the desire to return home to Him and our Home with Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish there were more stillness and order in my home - I feel most "at home" when I walk in the door and it's clean, quiet and peaceful and the late afternoon sun is spilling in through the family room windows and resting on the kitchen counter...and it's quiet.

    ReplyDelete