Monday, November 26, 2007

1251 USD


On board - heading to Rio...

Every once in a while I humor myself by looking up prices for international flights.....as if I was actually going to purchase the ticket. It almost always revolves around Rio de Janeiro - occasionally Recife and after that I hop over to Europe to see what steals I could get by leaving from JFK. I figure I could use FF miles to get me to the Big Apple, I could go spend a night with Lyn and Jason, and then score a cheap ticket from there. My search usually starts by going to google and typing "cheap flights to Rio." Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline. 1 seat, roundtrip. SLC to GIG. Feb 23 to March 31, 2008. That's a great time of year to head south - carnival is over. This evening I found a flight for 1251 U.S. dollars. I could do better - definitely...better.
Which reminds me - I need to get additional pages for my passport....

I have a love-hate relationship with air travel. Don't care for the food, hate the turbulents, a humorous captain is always nice, and I love that I can go to far-away places so easily and establish meaningful relationships.

Last March, a sister and I went to Rio together(Eba!). As we were in the Atlanta (or was it the Chicago?) airport we saw an older man, probably in his 50's. He had a rather large stuffed rabbit (rather large? it was huge!). We began to decide what kind of life this man led. His name, occupation, destination, and who that bunny rabbit was for - among other interesting facts and details of his mysterious life.
Our flight was called and we were to board. My sister made a detour, so as to pass by our new friend and told him that we had decided his name was Stanley, that he was a business man from Virginia heading home and that the rabbit must be for his 5 year old daughter. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong and.......wrong. He was humored to say the least. We all had a good laugh.

Then it was off to Brasil!

1 comment:

  1. I love the man with the rabbit story. kent and I will have to try that little game out next time we are at the airport and just waiting!

    ReplyDelete