Friday, April 09, 2010

My Last Three Visits With Grandpa

The first of three visits I took him a Frosty.  We sat and talked as he ate it.  Then we walked down the hall to a room where activities are held.  There we played with Legos.  He dozed off and I slipped out.

The second of three visits he couldn't really walk and was in a wheel chair.  We shared a Hersheys chocolate bar together and talked a bit.  I told him several times I was going to BYU to teach.  Then I wheeled him out to the room with the others, and left to go teach.

My last visit was this evening.  He can't talk now, or sit up, or do much of anything.  He did open his eyes a few times - they were fixed on something, or someone.  Maybe several people.  There are a lot of people waiting for him.  I played hymns for him on his fathers old violin.  It was his fathers fathers violin, and is who knows how old.  He really enjoyed the last time I played it.  And I think he enjoyed it this time as well.  All his children were there this evening along with some cousins and siblings of mine. 

I think that may be my last visit with Grandpa.  I haven't been in the presence of someone so close to leaving to the other side of the veil before.  But you can tell and feel it's close.  He's close.

I'll miss him.  He was such a gentleman.  A real gentleman.  Goodnight Grandpa.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Lorien for making those visits. I know they were treasures for Grandpa. Your playing was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete