Saturday, September 27, 2008

Mantua II

It was decided that I was to sleep in the pink room with Caitlin.
***************************************************************************************
Now, Caitlin is notorious for sprawling while sleeping - flinging her limbs about and crowding you out of the bed. "I'll be fine" - I thought, "she's small."

10:30---"You get the wall side, and stay on your side." "Okay, but give me the good pillow." "Fine."

11:45---push Caitlin over a bit.

12:53---push Cailtin over a bit, as she is scooting towards the middle of the bed.

2:35---"Caitlin, Caitlin!" (in a forceful but whispered tone) "Move over!" Caitlin now is in the middle of the bed. "Move!" She then rolls over, away from me? NO! Practically right on top of me. A definite shove was more than appropriate.

"Stay on your side!"

3:13---Can't sleep...not feeling well. Look out the window and notice how bright the stars are. Hmmm.

3:15---Rummage through my bag for a hoodie. Sneak downstairs. Slip in to my chacos and silently leave the house. It's dark and the ducks are sleep talking. Orion is on the eastern horizon shooting the ridge line. The accompanying stars are bright and the milky way has been brushed across the sky. It's dark, but comforting and not too cold. Quiet. I walk the dike up and down methodically. Think, think, think - and at the same time let all thought go. Have a good conversation with God.

4:09---Crawl back into bed.

8:30---I hear footsteps coming up the staircase...Dad. "Time to wake up! Let's go! Let's hike..."

Mantua III - The Hike.

1 comment:

  1. Ducks talking in their sleep is my favorite image of the day.

    ReplyDelete