Saturday, February 12, 2011

Never Been a Valentine

I look out the restaurant window and watch the public light rail system click on by.  I have just been reminded that Valentines Day is around the corner due to the lovely restaurant special.  The meal looks delicious, and is planned for two.  But I am just one.

I have never been a valentine.  I am 30 and I don't understand the concept of "couple."  I see couples walk the city sidewalks together - holding hands - and I don't get it.  I don't get how they get there.  I don't get how someone likes someone enough to want to spend enough time with them to be considered a significant other.

Mostly I don't understand how someone could like me enough to want to be my boyfriend, let alone someday want to be my husband.  I don't comprehend it - and most the time I don't believe in it.  I can get real gun-shy with thick walls and no guy so far has wanted me enough to be patient with my lack of believing in a relationship.  And it doesn't mean I don't want one - because I do.  I just don't know how.

I think I'm pretty cool - but maybe not cool enough to get someone that I think is cool too.  And the guys who do show interest in me, I am bored with before the first or second date is over.

I lack a lot of self-confidence in this department, and sometimes I am surprised by my lack of self-esteem.  Most the time I am a loner - which sometimes I equate with loser.

There is one exception.  There is my soulmate - the man I love, who has helped me believe that love is real.  But we are not a couple.  And never made it to couple status even when we were falling in love and going out.  You see, if we had made it to couple status, he would have introduced me to his friends, or he would have had me over to his house regularly to watch a show or just do nothing.  And we never really did any of that - and I wish we would have.  We just spent lots of time together at work and went out several times to dinner, etc.  But nothing informal.  None of the day to day.  But after-hours is when life happens.  That's when I believe he's really interested if he wants to be with me after work.  But there were reasons, I guess, why we never made it to official couple status.  So I guess I could say I do believe in love, but am having a hard time grasping the belief of a relationship.  Frustration.  Why is it when I do meet a man that I would want to spend the rest of my life with, that it doesn't work out, even though I still think it should, and I hope things will change.

Sometimes I get really angry about this.  Really angry, or extremely sad.

And sometimes I hate my job, because that's all I have.  And that's the last thing I want to hang out with after work or on the weekends....more work.  

I do love to be out.  I do love to be around people.  I do love being social.  And I try.  But for whatever reason I remain a loner.  And most people don't want a loner.

Some people have somebody, others don't.
Some people are lucky with love, others aren't.
Some people have someone to come home to, others come home to silence.

I just happen to fit into the latter category.

But I am trying to learn to become okay with this. 


The light rail passes by again.  There are pink and red hearts all over one of the cars, and I am reminded that Valentines Day is around the corner.

9 comments:

  1. A few things that I know:
    loner and loser are not equivalents.
    I promise things turn out in the end.
    I've always liked Valentines Day better as a holiday not for lovers but for those you love.
    Trust in Jesus Christ, my dear. He is the light that leads us out of the dark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As heartbreaking as it is to read you post,(because you are NOT the loser/loner person you perceive yourself to be) be grateful you don't take romantic advice from Taylor Swift! Vapid, vain ideas about love are not your style. You are a person of depth, character and integrity. You don't settle, and it unsettles your heart. I agree with your sister, trust in the source of all love. He is aware of your broken heart and I know He will heal it. For what its worth, a true irony here, I would love to come home to silence once in awhile . . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, the depth of your writings and thoughts show much more and go way beyond then how you currently feel about yourself. The 2 comments above me, those that know you, are right on.
    I am an abosolute loner who has 'mated'.
    It took a long time to find that mate who would work with who I am. 30 years in bad relationships, seems your going to be more selective and be more patient.
    BTW, I love that video. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED that poem performance. So many great lines and truths in there! Even if you have someone, good principles to incorporate in your life. Loved it. And as always, I love your honesty. Love your posts. (And not just because it's almost heart day) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the video. I've never been a big fan of Valentine's Day, it seems somewhat forced and directed at mainly young couples in their 20's with flawless bodies and amazing wardrobes. Halloween is a lot more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wrote a long comment, but scrapped it. I think I said Jesus wasn't always trustworthy, but trust in yourself, the world, and God, because the spirit of God broods over the world with warm breast and bright wings! And because I too think that things will work out for you!! (You can believe in Jesus but not necessarily trust him--Elizabeth Smart came home in one piece but many don't. (And I'm not a big fan of "pie in the sky when we all get to heaven by and by!) ;) Go to grad school! go to Boston! Don't let Rivendell suck your life away! (Didn't the Fellowship have to guard against staying there in such beauty and missing the grand quest?--or was that at Lothlorien? It's been so many years.) You are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love you Lorien. I hope your day has been a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have got to be kidding me Lorien. You are only 30 (which is YOUNG!) and we both know you are incredible and ridiculously gorgeous. Who cares about dumb Valentine's day? Every other day of the year is YOUR day - no strings attached. Its the prime of your life (with or without Mr. Right)so make sure its one of the best times of your life too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lyn captured it perfectly. I second her words completely.

    ReplyDelete