Friday, February 11, 2011

Feb 11, 2011

If you thought 52 was a bit to old for me, how about 85?

I was in the theater when he sat down next to me and told me his wife died February 24th of 2010.  I am sure as that date is nearing, her passing is more present in his mind.  It probably always is really.  He lives in South Salt Lake and was at the movies with his daughter and son-in-law but they were sitting near the front and he came to sit by me in the back so he could be closer to the mens room.  He talked out loud for a little bit, asking some questions and sharing some information, in a decibel predictable of an elder.  But I didn't mind even though the movie was rolling.  And I didn't mind for the people around me either.  The movie was lame.

Sometime during the credits, I met his movie-going companions and he told them he was happy to have sat next to a beautiful woman for the movie.  They thanked me and said this was the best date he's been on since his wife died.

I walked out of the theater, bought another ticket and walked back in.  The street cellist was still going at it and I have been told that he has played in that spot for at least over 15 years.  The second movie was better than the first, but had a melancholy-like ending, I think.  The Illusionist.  A different movie.  Hardly any dialogue.  And at the end I was sad that Magicians don't really exist and I felt badly for the old man.  But at the same time, I think I really enjoyed it.

I dined at Vienna Bistro before the movie.....s.  And chatted with an older gentleman that was in town from Arizona.  He thinks the stoplights downtown last too long.   But he's from a small town and probably doesn't have as much traffic moving through each light.  The waiter was very kind to me and the seats were very cushioned, which is probably why I ate as slow as I did.  I was brought out a plate of cured beef and pork along with some pickles.  On the house, the waiter with an accent said.  It's a nice little restaurant right around the corner from capitol theater and couples were coming in dressed nicely while I was in jeans and a leather jacket. 

Earlier in the day I met with an artist who works with mixed media.  I love her artwork and it has inspired me to get started on my own.  She also introduced me to the works of Andy Goldsworthy.  Just google his name and go to images and see why I was thrilled.  

Before that I had an appointment with my health guru and the Candida (fungus/bacteria) levels in my body are just below 50%, which isn't too bad (well, kind of) all things considered, but with 70% of that affecting my brain - well that's not too exciting and explains many problems I have been dealing with lately.

The gym was attended first thing this morning.  I have been going at 5:30 am - running two miles and lifting weights, but today I was a tad late.  Probably because I didn't have to work as early or at all today at the CPA firm I have been working at for the past week or so.  It's a part-time, temporary job, thank goodness.  A guy from said 5:30 am workout introduced himself to me a few days ago and got my number.  He has been texting often and called right before I headed to the gym.  He uses winky faces in many of his texts, and sometimes I feel like too many and I am getting a bit overwhelmed.  My male-consultant says to just chill and that he's just flirting.  I say that's fine, but can't he flirt without a twitch in his eye?

A guy from California has been calling as well.  We met over the Christmas break, but it sure is difficult to know if you like a person without spending time with them.  

And somewhere in between all of this I have decided to take up knitting again so I can knit myself a red scarf and a big colorful afghan.  Maybe two.

6 comments:

  1. I think red scarves are always good. Knit away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and old men are usually interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad's even older and he's dating. Right Dawnie? Geeesh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I've heard MrDaveyGie, so I've heard (eeer...read)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's the rush? You're only 30. I was 43 when I met Cowboy Dave and I had been divorced 17 years. I had given up on any hope for a relationship, bought a house, took a promotion at work, sat back and enjoyed my friends and my children and then I met the guy. And now I look forward to moments in the house alone. I miss my independence. Careful what you wish for . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've taken up knitting again too. Except, I'm not very good at it yet and I only make scarves.

    ReplyDelete