Saturday, February 26, 2011

a fight, sore mucles, wanting, and Alaska

She works at a nearby gas station and he came by to see her.  They were outside arguing when I pulled up to the pump.  He wants to be hugged.  He wants to be told that he is loved.  He wants them both at the same time.  Is that too much to ask for?  Affection?  She is so angry and says couples just don't do that.  That that's not reality.  It's not the real world for someone to hold you and tell you they love you.  After several minutes of raised voices he gets her to somewhat calm down and pulls her in and gives her a few kisses.  A few seconds later she's back at it.  Angry and mad.  She pulls away and yells at him as he drives off.


The guy I met at the gym a few weeks ago is an ex-Marine officer and now my muscles are letting me know that our regular and early morning workouts together are effective.  Ouch.  Tomorrow I hope I can get out of bed.  Funny thing is, about three weeks ago or so, I was wishing to myself that I had a personal trainer.  Huh.


I learned yesterday that to say you want something is to say you lack something.  So maybe instead of saying "I want a bowl of icecream," say, "I am going to get me a bowl of icecream." If you don't have icecream at that moment and can't afford it - say, "I am saving my quarters for that bowl of icecream I am going to eat next weekend."  Instead of focusing on what you lack - focus on what you are going to do, and how you are going to acquire that trip to London or whatever.  Not just that you want to go.  'Cause that isn't action oriented and won't produce results. 
Something like that.


I've been studying about Alaska.  About blue-green algae, moss and the beginnings of creation.  Plant succession.


Don't read the next section if you don't want to read about a bear violently killing another bear.  I came across it in my Alaska reading.


Bears also have a fierce sense of hierarchy; when fishing, the largest and oldest bears command the spots where the salmon are easiest to catch.  The other bears wait their turn or fish other parts of the stream.  If his prerogatives are challenged, an older bear can react violently.  A few years ago at Brooks River, near Brooks Camp, a young bear made the mistake of venturing into an elder's domain.  The larger bear lunged at the interloper, disemboweled it and then drowned it.  All this happened in full view of the three fisherman, one of whom filmed the event.  At the end they watched dumbfounded as the big bear dragged the soaking body of its victim 25 feet up the embankment and buried it.


For whatever reason, I found this violent occurrence somewhat interesting.  Why is it the killer bear took the time to bury his victim, the innocent (from my POV) younger bear?  Was it out of some sort of respect for a life even though he just killed him?  Or was he just getting him out of sight so they didn't have to be around a dead bear?  Was he hiding his actions?  Nature is a wondrous and sometimes mysterious thing.  

4 comments:

  1. Nature sure seems so violent.
    That couple, just don't seem to have good chemistry working for them. I don't think she's very interested in him.
    Amazing how their lifes came into my thoughts through blogger media.
    Ok I have run out allowable commentary.
    Dawn will probably be visiting and I wait her wisdom regarding. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor man, I hope he finds someone who believes in affection... and poor bear :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting combination of story lines. I, too, am an eavesdropper extraordnaire, perhaps the result of living in a small town, low on the excitement scale. She seems to find his neediness threatening on some level. She and the bear have qualites in common. Drive away, young man, and quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sad for the bear but most sad for the man. Why is it such an ordeal for humans to simply love each other?

    ReplyDelete