Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My FaVoRiTe THiNG iN THe WoRLD

My very favorite thing in the whole world is to meet and be with people.  I love it even more than gardens, even more than design, even more than the purple hippopotamus I'm going to have one day.

I love it even more than water basketball.

I met a new friend a few days ago.  She's a lawyer that lives downtown and served a mission in Kyoto, Japan for the LDS church.  We're getting together at her place next week after she gets back from DC.  We're having sushi and I get to meet her roommate - I have a feeling these two are going to be some great friends.  I think we'll all go to China together - or Europe.  Yeah - either one.

Just tonight I stopped by my old place to pick up a tax document.  Morgan, who is from South Korea, is living there now.  She's learning how to make violins.  Next Thursday we're going to meet up downtown for lunch. It's great!

Last week I also became better acquainted with Marie - a very cool lady indeed.  We're going to play a practical joke on a fellow friend this week.  It's gonna be hilarious.  It's going to create some good memories.

I just met a guy with the last name Moses.  How cool is that.  He laughs easily - those types of people are always good to have around as friends, especially when their humor is genuine.

I continue to have a growing relationship with my dear friend Gloria.  And even though we are 51 years apart - we have too much fun sitting in her front room chatting for hours, raking leaves together to fill 21+ bags full, going out to a long lunch, chatting in the driveway, laughing and gabbing for hours on the phone - and just smiling together.  I give her fresh flowers every time I pay rent and she gave me a book for my birthday which I will always treasure.

Memories are made by spending time together.  NOTHING replaces face to face time.  Nothing does - and nothing ever will.  It's when you do the normal everyday things together that you really get to know a person.  There is no replacement.  No phone call, no email, no text will ever replace being in someones presence.  The others are great yes, and I enjoy all methods of communication.  But there's something unique about face time because it's human time.  The human connection.   
Going to buy groceries - going driving just to listen to some tunes together, looking for a shirt or some cool tights, a walk in the park - checking out some event that even though it turned out lame, was still fun because you were with someone and a memory was created and a moment was experienced.  I would love it if someone called me and said "Hey, I'm going to wash my car - wanna come?"  Um... yes! 
That's when inside jokes are created, that's when you get to act like a goof and it's okay.  That's when people may have a chance to see your real, sincere - "this is really me" side.  The side of imperfections and mess-ups are what make people real and that's when I feel like I can really connect with someone - and when I let someone see all the dumb and silly things I do, then I feel more real around them.  And when they're still your friend even after getting to know you - that's a friend you keep and trust.  It can take some time, but it's time that's worth it.  So here's to face time.  May we all get a little more of it and value it when we do.

5 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. One of the things I actually love about Thoreau's time at Walden Pond was that he worked 40 days a year so he could do whatever he wanted the other days, and very often he was visiting or being visited by friends! I mentioned to a friend/professor the other day, "There are so many amazing experiences to have in this life." Her response was, "Yes, and so many of those are people."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love water basketball...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This may be the Japanese language help you were looking for -

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do have to give a thumbs up to our many midnight phone conversations however! U-up?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this thought, and wish you a belated birthday as well!

    ReplyDelete