Sunday, September 05, 2010

Blogging

I was out with a friend yesterday evening.  We were talking about bucket lists.  Of course, places to see and experience were on the forefront of that conversation.  I then asked if he had anything on his bucket list that was not a geographical location. Building a website was his answer - but he wasn't sure what it would be for or be about - and then made some comment how he's not a "blogger"... that he's not vain like that.

LOL.

I didn't say anything...about blogs or blogging, or that I have one and in the past have used it.  A lot.

I didn't tell him I was vain.  I think I should have.

What is on my bucket list that is not a geographical location??  A book.  I want to write a book.  About what.  I don't know - I write best from experiences, my experiences... (kind of like my blog), it must be woven and entwined within me for me to be able to write with any conviction or real feeling.  So as the minutes and hours pass I occasionally think about writing a book.  And this isn't new.  I actually tried starting one about 5 or 6 years ago, as I was encouraged by my dear friend Steven K - he still asks me about it, but it never made it past the napkin that came with the complimentary ginger ale on my way home from New York.

I actually do wrestle on and off about writing and blogging/writing about myself or my life as I experience it.  I wonder why I write, and if I should write and who cares to read about my life or thoughts anyways.  Is it indeed a selfish, and self-centered hobby to have?  But, then I think about all the books and stories and writings that I love to read - I love to read about others' lives.  I love to know what they are experiencing and feeling and thinking because then I don't feel so alone in my own thoughts.

"We read to know we're not alone."

And so maybe we write, so others know they're not alone.

5 comments:

  1. Very true! And I blog so I can remember what I thought or read--because at my age that is difficult!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think blogging can be narcissistic, but I think for most it is an attempt at self expression and communication. I love to read your blog, and not just because we are related!

    I like to blog because I can send things out into the universe and not worry so much about where they will land. (Hence, rants at paint mixers, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah - i guess there are multiple reasons why people write - and most are good and worthy causes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you have decided to reevaluate whether you should continue writing or not. Do you know how many blog sites I have read through in the last two months (I am a very new blogger to the scene) before I found one as interesting as yours? I am still uncertain as to why this new hobby of mine has such a strong hold on me. But afterall, I am being richly entertained with humor and insight and inspiration. Keep going - your writing makes me feel like I'm "right there."

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is something about blogging that is like the late-night unveiling of self that occurs at the junior high sleepover with your at-the-moment best friend. In some way it allows you to be intimate with the world. I think it is of value. It reaffirms our humanness.

    ReplyDelete