Friday, March 26, 2010

Transcript

I stumbled upon my college transcript the other day while I was working on my student's grades.

I graduated with a Bachelors of Science: Horticulture with an emphasis of Landscape and Urban Horticulture.  As I was going through my grades for the major, I had to laugh.

Living with Plants: B-
Residential Landscape Design: B+
Interior Landscapes: B
Landscape Bidding and Estimating: B+
Principles of Accounting: F (and that's not for "Fantastic")
Spreadsheet skills: F
Soil Science: C
Soil Science Lab: B+
Autocad/Drafting: W
Arboriculture: B-
Field Botany: C+
Floral Design: C-
Plant Material : B+

(Did you get any A's????!!!)

Yes - a few:
Plant Community Design: A
Landscape Design Graphics: A
Landscape Structures: A

(All of the above courses were taught by the same professor, take note)

Oh - I also got an A in:
Fly Tying
Violin Lessons
Basic Equestrian
Tennis
Canoeing
Bluegrass Ensemble

It's funny - my professors remember me as an "A" student - never mind taking off school for two+ weeks to go to Brazil during competition.  I don't think I'll remind them that I likely pulled a B or a C in their class (I did that the other day - eeehhhh....)

Well - four years later and I am running my own business in my field, and back at BYU...teaching.  So yeah, grades are overrated.  Just love what you do.  Unless you are going to grad school and want to get into a great program....then yeah - you probably wouldn't want any "F's" or "C's" your transcript.  (Although I was more or less verbally accepted to a program for an MLA if I wanted to get a graduate degree, meh).

2 comments:

  1. I keep saying, grades are overrated. Thanks for the affirmation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think college in general is overrated, but that's probably just because I'm a dropout. Glad you're back on the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete